Thursday, January 3, 2013

"Two Bass on One Lure at Same Time"

That's the phrase I keyboarded into Google Images this morning, which gave me several examples of what I figured I would find.

The reason I even went looking for some examples in the first place was because of something I just had heard on an NBC Sports Channel TV show--namely, the Roland Martin Show. He and his wife were fishing for some "smaller bass," as Roland explained, on Lake Okeechobee. However, there were some cutaway clips of other recent trips Roland had made to the same body of water. One of the clips showed him busting 5- and 6-lb. bass by flipping worms in the grass.

Another of the clips, however, showed Roland and his son, Scott, together on the same boat, fishing a lipless crankbait in concentrations of smaller bass. When Scott hooked up on what he called a "true double" (e.g., two bass on one lure at the same time), a big deal was made by both son and dad. And then Scott said, "Okeechobee probably is one of the few places you'll ever see such a thing happen."

That statement, coupled with the fact I just so happened to pull one of those so-called "true doubles" myself this past year, was all it took to send me surfing the Internet. I had seen some crashing on top where I was at this one particular day early last summer, tossed my shallow-running crankbait into the middle of it, and immediately hooked up with what I thought was one big fish, based on the way my drag went to singing. Turns out, though, it was only a couple of 1.25- or 1.50-lb. bass, each with a mind of its own.

And I assure you I was fishing nowhere other than "good ol' Virginny," as some would say, when I had my "true double." Furthermore, of those examples I checked out in Google Images this morning, all were pulled off somewhere other than Okeechobee, so I reckon I've just reconfirmed something I've known for a long time now--You can't believe everything you see or hear on that contraption my dear late dad used to call  a "boob tube." Thanks, Pop, for bringing me to this dance we call bass fishing. I'll always owe you.

No comments:

Post a Comment