Friday, January 25, 2013

The West Neck Water Level Gauge Is in Place

As I promised yesterday, Charlie and I met up at the West Neck ramp this afternoon and installed this marker on the righthand bulkhead (as you're facing the ramp). Air temp at the time was about 32 degrees, and I don't know what the water temp was, but let's just say I was feeling "cool," standing there in my waders, getting this gauge secured.

The level showing here--approximately 2.5 feet--is about the lowest anyone with a bass boat or something of equivalent size probably ever would want to try and launch. At 2.5 feet, the water on the high side of the ramp (the left side, facing it), is approximately a foot below the joint in the ramp. Some might be willing to gamble on a lower level, but not yours truly.

I want to point out here that Charlie came up with the idea for this gauge. He also gathered the materials and got the gauge ready. My only contribution was wading out and mounting it to the bulkhead.

From this point forward, I'll be publishing photos of this gauge for all the water-level reports on my blog.

Be watching sometime tomorrow--probably in the afternoon or evening--for a video of today's project installation. Charlie had one of his video cameras trained on the whole evolution from a tripod. I'm not sure, but there even may be a shot of the one moment I dunked my "caboose" in the water. Let me assure you it didn't take me very long to straighten up.

Anyway, we hope everyone will enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank you and Charlie for your blogs, you guys just make our sport a lot better. I can't wait until it gets warmer (can't do the cold), so I can get out there and have fun. Again thank you very much

    ReplyDelete