Sunday, January 13, 2013

Hook, Line & Sinker...


I received an email this morning about a fishing trip a father took with his son. "Yesterday was a great day with my No. 1 fishing buddy (my son, Payton)," is how Justin Reese started his note. It just so happens I met this father and son because they were launching right behind me at West Neck yesterday morning.

Justin explained that they started fishing under the bridge at the first point with some minnows. And while he was in the front of the boat getting his tackle sorted out and ready for the day, all of a sudden he heard Payton screaming from the back of the boat, "I got one!"

"I was proud to watch that all the techniques of setting the hook and keeping tension on the line while reeling had paid off," said the proud pop. When Payton brought the fish to the side of the boat, Justin said, "That's a nice bass," and those words really got him excited.

"This is my first largemouth bass, and it's a nice one!" exclaimed the beaming young angler.

"It was great," added Justin.

The duo headed on up the creek but couldn't seem to get another fish to go for the minnows. Justin looked over at his son and could tell he was getting bored watching the bobbers just sit there on the surface. So, he suggested they switch over to tossing some crankbaits, which Justin never had used before. The fishing then picked up.

Dad's chest swelled more and more as he watched son cast his Zebco 33 with pretty good accuracy--and catch more fish, as evidenced by the second bass you see here in this photo.

Noted Justin, "We finished the day with 4 bass, 4 pickerel, and 2 yellow perch."

The numbers of fish a person catches always is important, but the more important thing here is the kinship between a father and son and one teaching the other something that he'll undoubtedly remember for a lifetime. And, hopefully, he'll pass it on to his offspring, too. As I told Justin in an email this morning, I truly wish I could go fishing with my pop just one more time.

The picture of this boy with his yellow perch is priceless, and his dad knows it. "I love fishing and catching bass," said Justin, "but it's days like yesterday, with my little guy, that I enjoy most."

This, indeed, is a special story, and given the moral decay that is so prevalent in the world today, I find it especially refreshing to come across a father who still takes time to teach his son something as wholesome as fishing. As far as I'm concerned, Justin is to be commended. He's doing the right things at the right time in his son's life. There are many others who would do well to emulate the lesson being taught here. Unfortunately, there always will be some who just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment