Sunday, January 20, 2013

Hook, Line & Sinker...


Muddy water--anglers had it yesterday on the Northwest, and it was the same story today on the North Landing. I was at West Neck Marina a little earlier checking conditions, and it didn't take but a quick look around the ramp area to tell me that those fishermen who had gone out today likely weren't catching a lot of fish. Four trailers were in the parking lot when I arrived, and one more showed up while I was there.

Three boats came in while I was standing around, and I managed to talk to the anglers in two of them. Two fellas in a Nitro told me they hadn't even had a bump today. I learned, however, that one of these two had been out during one of those real foggy days we had recently and had boated a lot of nice fish.

Another fella in a blue Tracker today had found three fish: 1 bass and 2 pickerel. He said they all had hit a rattlin' crankbait. (If you're the retired Marine I'm talking about here, will you please email me at kenneth34@cox.net with your name? I'm sorry, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what you said it is--one of those "senior moment" things.) The fish he caught came from 47-degree water, which was a couple degrees warmer than most he had found in the creek.

And my kayaker buddy, Charlie, went to Oakum Creek today, picking up 2 bass and 2 pickerel. His biggest bass weighed 1-9 (as best he remembers, before checking his video footage). He, too, had muddy water, but the temperature range was a tad better than what the anglers found in West Neck. Charlie said his gauge showed a range from 48 to 51 degrees. Incidentally, just want to remind you that Charlie always posts video of his fishing trips on his website--usually in the late afternoon or evening of the next day. Here's the link to his blog: http://vbfishguide.blogspot.com.

There was plenty of water to launch at West Neck today. I'd estimate it extended about 8 feet above the joint in the ramp. If you want to avoid that Arctic blast headed our way, you'd better plan to get your licks in tomorrow--provided, of course, you believe the local forecasters. Good luck, if you go. Drop me an email with your day's tally if you do, and I'll be happy to give you a little exposure here on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment