Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Starting the New Year Right


When I received a call from my buddy, Wayne, asking if I'd like to join him for a little bass fishing today, I couldn't resist the chance to shake off some of the cabin fever I've experienced in the time I've been laid up with that crud I talked about a few posts back. I knew there would be a cool start, but with a high of 51 and light southerly winds predicted, I was more than willing to take my chances.

So at 7 o'clock this morning, I pulled into the parking lot at West Neck, loaded my gear into Wayne's boat, and 15 or so minutes later, we were off on our adventure. We headed south to the grain canal and deeper water, which seemed like a good option. However, after passes along the length of both shorelines with no takers, Wayne moved down to the Pungo Ferry Bridge, where we started working the pilings.

For a while, we experienced the same results we had had in the grain canal, but once the sun had peeked through the clouds and warmed things a bit, Wayne suddenly found a taker for his plastic craw. Not more than 10 or 15 minutes later, I felt a tick on my Bandit 200. I was certain enough it had been a fish that I quickly reeled in and threw back to the same spot, and this time he hit the crankbait hard enough for me to bury both hooks. We didn't take time to weigh either fish, but each would have gone about 2 lbs.

We stayed with the pilings for a fair spell but didn't have any more action, so we returned to the grain canal. Again, though, there was no joy, so we decided to pack it in and head for the dock. With each of us having a fish to show for the first outing of the new year, we neither one felt we had anything further to prove today.

From the looks of the weather report I heard this evening, it appears I won't be getting back out for a few days, but that's OK--I'm on the scoreboard, and that's always a positive thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment