Wednesday, January 15, 2014

In Tune with the Astro Tables


When Charlie and I first spotted each other through that dense fog on West Neck Creek this morning, one of the first things he hollered to me was that, according to the Astro Tables in Bassmaster magazine, today from about 10 to about 2 o'clock promised to be the best fishing for the whole month of January. I routinely don't pay attention to such things and probably wouldn't have today either, except for the fact I actually had a pretty decent outing.

Starting with my first fish, which hit about 10:30, and concluding with my last fish, which hit about 2:30, I boated a total of 7 bass and 1 white perch today. I also had 3 other bass hooked up momentarily, 2 of which were nice fish, but lost them en route to the boat. I was particularly pleased to catch my first 2 bass and the white perch on my new Mylar Minnow that Charlie just made for me a couple days ago. The bait is duly initiated--I even hung it a couple times today and had to go get it. I can assure you this lure will get plenty of time on the water before this year is over. I really like its action, and you can cast it a country mile.

I started out fishing the main West Neck shoreline this morning but didn't have the first bump, so finally turned into one of the coves, and that's when the bite got started. Once things slowed with the Mylar Minnow, I picked up my Strike King 1XS in firetiger pattern, and that bait put all the rest of the fish in my boat today. Every one of my fish came from coves, without exception. The water there appeared to be clearing faster than the main creek, but all of it is getting better.

I likely won't get back on the water again before next Monday, given the forecast I saw on TV this evening. However, I look forward to it, 'cause I want to get better acquainted with this Mylar Minnow.

No comments:

Post a Comment