Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Fishing Trip Down Memory Lane

The New Year's Day fishing trip with my buddy, Wayne, earlier this week stirred some recollections of trips I'd taken many moons ago. It all started when Wayne pulled out a Silver Buddy Blade Bait, similar to the bottom lure in this photo, and asked if I ever had fished one.

We were exploring that deeper water down there near the Pungo Ferry Bridge at the time. And although I have no way of knowing for sure, I'm guessing that Wayne simply wanted to find out if this proven old, cold-weather winner still had some magic left in it.

After all, it wouldn't be the first time I'd ever watched him demonstrate that old lures still will catch fish--and lots of 'em. In particular, I remember a trip with him a couple summers back, when he took me to a familiar grassy area down in Blackwater Creek and flat wore the bass out for a few hours with an old Johnson's Silver Minnow. And I'm talking about fish in the 2- and 3-pound range. That demonstration is exactly why I, to this day yet, carry a hefty supply of Johnson's Silver Minnows in my tacklebox.

Anyway, when Wayne asked me about the Silver Buddy, I quickly responded that I was familiar with the bait but really didn't have any experience with it. Instead, I fished the Mann's... At that very point, however, I had a "senior moment" and could not, for the life of me, remember the name of that lead-chunk tailspinner (the top lure in the above photo) that I used to throw on Lake Anna during the cold winter months. And it must have taken most of the next 20 minutes or so before Wayne and I collectively could remember the name of that Mann's bait. Finally, I remembered that "Little" was part of the name, and Wayne added the "George."

Once we had nailed down the bait's name, I went on to explain that I used to buy Little George's by the handful because of the number I would lose on a trip to Lake Anna. I'd sling those things as far as I could get them to go, let them fall to the bottom, then start jigging them back to the boat. They found their fair share of fish, but they also frequently snagged objects on the bottom, especially along one old roadbed I liked to fish, and given the depths involved, it was easier just to break off and tie on a new one.

At prices approaching $3 and more, fishing Little George's could be an expensive proposition today. Back then, though, I'm not sure I even paid a dollar apiece for them.

It's always nice to spend a day on the water, especially with an old friend, but when you get all that, plus a trip down memory lane, it's like the cherry you always get on top of a banana split--at least, that's the way it is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment