Friday, January 3, 2014

Old-Timers Bass Rodeo May Be in the Works

If you're age 60 or over, or will be by Aug. 21, 2014, I may have something that will interest you. That date, in case you don't already know, marks the annual Senior Citizens Day celebration.

Last year, a couple of fellas confronted me with a suggestion to start a seniors' bass-tourney series. I told them I'd think about their idea, which I've done, and here's what I've decided I'm willing to do.

With the Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series already on my plate, I don't want to take on the responsibility of also running a seniors tourney series. For that matter, I don't feel there would be enough support to sustain another regular series. However, I am willing to try a one-time, or perhaps an annual event for old-timers like myself. And when I say "old-timers," I'm referring to folks age 60 and over.

Here's my proposal as I currently envision it:

     * Hold a Senior Citizens Day Bass Rodeo on Aug. 21.
     * Eligible participants would be those who already are age 60 or over, or who will turn 60 no later than Aug. 21.
     * The rodeo site would be West Neck Marina.
     * Fishing hours would be 6 a.m. to 12 noon.
     * Costs would be $10-per-person entry fee (with 100 percent payout), optional $5-per-person big-bass pot, and $5-per-boat ramp fee.
     * Participants would be permitted to fish solo or no more than two per boat.
     * Weigh-in would be limited to three fish per boat (the reduced number is based on consideration of the usual temps this time of year).
     * And, of course, we all could sit around and swap fish stories over a BBQ sandwich afterward, if everyone so wanted.

I've already talked to the marina manager, Steve Winfree, and have his OK to hold this event. What I'd like to know now is how many of you who are eligible might be interested in participating. A simple email to me (kenneth34@cox.net) will do. I'll keep a list of names and let everyone know my final decision, based on the response I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment