Wednesday, February 15, 2023

It Was a Bill Savage Kind of Day

Bill Savage was before some of you younger fellas' time. In a nutshell, he was a white perch fisherman...and a good one, too. He knew where to go and when to go there for some of the prettiest white perch any fish-eating angler ever could want.

Bill used to keep his boat in the back boat barn at West Neck Marina, and he went fishing at every opportunity. Unfortunately, he had some health issues that demanded his wife or a fishin' buddy always accompany him when he hit the water. Both Bill and his wife have been gone for several years now, but I've never forgotten the man who knew a thing or two about how to catch white perch.

The reason I was reminded of him during my trip to West Neck today was because, in the first 15 minutes I was on the water, I caught five of the nicest white perch I've seen since Bill left us. Every one of them had big fat bellies that looked like they might pop open if I squeezed them just a tad. Unlike Bill, I hustled all of them back in the water.

I caught all five of the white perch on either a crankbait or jerkbait. They were hitting both at will...and almost as soon as the bait hit the water.

After those busy 15 minutes, though, the water went silent, and I never felt another bite for the rest of the day, which I called a halt to at about 1:15 or so. Talked to one other angler in a Tracker, who told me he had started way up West Neck this morning. He, too, had caught a couple of white perch, along with a couple of bass, but was lamenting that, once the stronger winds kicked up, his bite had disappeared, as well.

The water temp when I started this morning was over 50 degrees. Some of the water looked nice, but other sections left a bit to be desired.

In closing here, let me caution anyone who hasn't been on the grounds at West Neck in a while. Management has let the roadway deteriorate considerably this winter, so slow down when you turn into the entrance, or you may break a spring or two. The lip of the ramp also is in bad shape again.

'Til next time, Tight Lines! to one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment