Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Doesn't Anybody Work Any More?

That's a question my friend and fellow fisherman, Rob P (right), asked me today while we...and a bunch of other folks...were on the water looking for a few fish. There were probably a dozen or more vehicles in the parking lot, which did seem a bit strange, considering that today was only Wednesday. Can't help thinking, though, that all of us likely were just trying to take advantage of these nice days while they're still here.

While tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer than today was, weather forecasters have been calling for stronger winds Thursday, which could have been a motivating factor for the bigger-than-expected crowd that was running around West Neck and other areas today. As Rob explained, there was another boat already sitting on the first three spots he went to first thing this morning.

Saw Skip on the water today, too--his first venture since last year, when he had to stand down from pretty much all activity for a good spell, while convalescing after some serious surgery. He's dropped a few pounds and indicates that he feels good again now and is ready to get back into all the things he truly loves, including his fishing.

He sent me the accompanying photo while we were on the water, acknowledging that this marked his "first fish of the 2023 season."

Here's hoping it's just the first of many, my good buddy, that you'll put in the boat this year. We're also looking forward to having you join us for at least some of the Dewey's tournaments, starting in late-March.

At long last, I finally met up with my blog contributor DMac this morning. Took me completely by surprise. Turns out that DMac originally had planned on a trip to Back Bay this morning, but settled instead on making an appearance at West Neck, just on the off chance that he might at last find me on site. We've often talked about getting together one of these days for a chat, but it's been a long spell in the making.

'Twas indeed good to finally shake hands with each other and chat for a spell before we shoved off from the West Neck ramp this morning and commenced our fishing day.

Incidentally, my friend, after reading your email just a few minutes ago about the kind of fishing day you had today, I want you to know I'm kickin' myself just a tad for not listening to my instincts last evening while assembling my arsenal for today. As I opened my box to make my picks, my eyes immediately settled on some of my favorite topwaters, but I shook my head and said, "Naw, it's just a bit too early for those."

Now I find out that you had a really nice late-morning with a topwater bite that yielded seven bass, including four keepers and three dinks. Good on ya!!! Be assured I'll be armed my next trip.

As it turned out, the last couple of days have been rather unusual for me, starting with a trip my wife and I made to the Nimmo Walmart store yesterday. We just had gotten out of her car and were starting toward the store, when we glanced down on the asphalt and found three shiny quarters laying close by.

Then, this morning, after I had launched my boat at West Neck and parked, I just had locked up my ol' van and started back toward the ramp, when I looked on the ground under my trailer tongue and found...don't you know...two more shiny quarters laying there, too.

Finding those quarters and meeting DMac for the first time, all in a little less than 24 hours, certainly seemed unusual, but then to spend four hours on the water, catching two bass (a 1-9 and a 1-3), plus two white perch and a yellow perch was nearly too good to be true.

Sure would be nice if this streak of good luck would continue hanging around for a while yet, but given the kind of luck I normally have, I sincerely doubt that will be the case. The standard routine undoubtedly will return with a vengeance...well before I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment