Friday, November 1, 2019

When Your Topwater Bait Springs a Leak

That happened to me this past Wednesday. Granted, this ol' lure is all beat up and doesn't look like much. More importantly, though, it's out of production, which means I can't just go out and buy a new one. Unfortunately, I can't even find one for sale on eBay at the moment.

Now, in all candidness, I do own two new replacements for this bait. I even used one of them Wednesday. After all, the bait was catching some nice fish, and I wasn't about to go looking for something different when I had replacements.

That being said, I spent some time today looking at the "sinking" model of my topwater bait (couldn't believe my eyes the first time Wednesday I watched the bait simply disappear slowly below the surface). Once I had emptied all the river water from its cavity--through the same hole in the bottom it had entered--I decided I might be able to fix it.

I got out an epoxy kit and went to work. Now I'll admit my handiwork leaves a lot to be desired (it's anything but professional looking), but given the lure's already deteriorated condition before I started, who's to complain?

I won't know how the repair job holds up until I get back on the water. I don't take anything for granted here--not with the kind of luck I usually have. Instead, I'm going to take a wait-and-see attitude. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment