Monday, November 18, 2019

Blame It on the Fish Finder

An angler decided to spend the night fishing on a local reservoir. Soon after launching, he was running along about 18 or 20 mph, powered by his tiller 9.9 hp outboard, headed out to open water. There were no other boats to be seen anywhere on the reservoir this particular night.

All was good until he noticed his fish finder wasn't working. He still was looking down at the battery, checking the connections, when he figured he'd better check his bearings. He glanced up just in time to immediately see something strange ahead. More importantly, it was closing fast.

"In only a fraction of a second, I realized what I was looking at--seemingly in slow motion," said the angler. "It was the shoreline. All I could do was take my hand off the tiller, cover my head, and brace for impact.

"I hit the shoreline at nearly full speed and was pitched face down on the floor of the boat. I was fine, but what about the boat? I thankfully had hit a gravel-lined, gently sloping section. Fifty yards to the right, I would have hit a concrete dam head-on. Fifty yards to the left, I would have hit a boulder field on the shoreline. In short, I had landed in the only possible spot in the area to avoid total disaster. (I've always believed that an angel sometimes is riding on our shoulder.)

"The boat seemed to be OK, and after considerable effort, I was able to dislodge it from the gravel and get it back in the water.

"I've never taken my eyes off the water again while driving it ever since that incident," the angler concluded.


Soon after finding this item on the Internet, I read about a fella who broke off a $6 lure that he had buried in some bushes along the shoreline. In his eagerness to get it back, he drove his trolling motor at 100 percent into the same bushes. Unfortunately, the trolling-motor repairs cost him far more than the $6 he had spent for the lure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment