Sunday, May 18, 2014

What Do I Know?

That was the question I posed to my partner, Rob, during yesterday's sixth event in the current Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series.

Here's what precipitated that question. We had been fishing one of my favorite areas but had reached the point where I usually swing the boat to the opposite shoreline and start working my way back the other direction. As I was making the swing, Rob asked, "Don't you think we ought to at least fish this point and perhaps a little ways beyond?"

I told him I thought we'd be wasting our time but, wanting to be a good sport, I agreed to go along with his idea. And, as it turned out, we ended up putting two more fish in the livewell.

A period of time then passed, and we were working our way into another section of the creek where I didn't feel like we were making the best use of our time. It was when I said I thought we should turn around and head the other way that Rob once more said, "Let's fish on up a little farther and see what happens."

And, yes, just as you probably already have figured out, we picked up a couple more keepers. It was at that point that I threw my hands in the air and, looking skyward toward the fishing gods, asked, "What do I know? For the rest of today, Rob, just ignore me. We'll do whatever you say, because it's evident I don't know what the crap I'm talking about."

As further evidence of that last statement, I also should admit another of my mistakes in judgment yesterday. I early on had told Rob I was certain it was going to be a topwater day because of what had happened during a pre-fishing trip I had made earlier in the week. And while we both had a wide assortment of topwater baits tied on, there was one long-time spring favorite of many anglers that I hadn't opted for but which Rob uses regularly and very effectively--and yesterday was no exception.

Now this is a bait I've watched guys clean my clock with many times over the years, and it took a score yesterday of Rob 3, Ken 0, before I caved in to the obvious once again. While I was digging in my tacklebox, I heard Rob say, "I was wondering how long it was going to take you to get the message." I couldn't help but chuckle.

Once I made the switch, it didn't take long for the fish to put a smile on my face--and, yes, replace some of the egg that already was there. I only boated five, compared to about three times that number for my partner, but I feel sure that's five more than I would have had otherwise.

I reckon the bottom-line lesson here is to listen to what your back-seater has to say, even if he is young enough to be your son. Works for me, anyway. Incidentally, Rob--Thanks! A partner like you is just what the doctor ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment