Thursday, May 22, 2014

Fish, Fish and More Fish


This first report is from a new contributor. His name is Chuck Hardy, Jr. I just recently got to know Chuck through an email he sent me, asking if the "Ray Hardy" listed on the "In Memoriam" section of my blog (which he reads) might be his late uncle. Turns out that he was spot on, and I not only have been able to complete Ray's information on the "In Memoriam" block, but I'm also now working on a future blog article about this avid fisherman, friend, and all-around good guy that Chuck knew as Uncle Ray.

That being said, Chuck sent me photos of a couple fish he caught this morning, when he stopped off on Muddy Creek Road in Back Bay en route to work--"completely out of my way, I might add," he clarified.

Chuck earlier told me he spent a fair amount of time as a youth fishing with his Uncle Ray, and it showed in that last statement. I can't tell you how many times over the years I saw Ray show up at West Neck when he could get away from a job for a couple hours of fishing--whether it be first thing in the morning, mid-day or whenever. He just loved to fish and took advantage of every minute he could spend on the water. When he had finished, he'd rush back to work as quickly as he had come flying into the West Neck parking lot.

Chuck estimated the bass (above, right) at about 2 lbs. It fell for what appeared (in a different photo) to be a perch-colored Rebel Pop R. He also caught a second bass before he was done.

That wasn't all, either. This ring perch, which Chuck estimated at about a pound, fell for a red and white spinnerbait--one of those Walmart $1 models that I've also used a few times to catch some fish. In fact, I always keep several of them in my tacklebox, just in case.












This second report comes from Skip Schaible, who didn't get out until about 9:30 this morning. "That bed was just too comfortable," he explained. This bass tipped his digital scales at 2-13. He also had one that weighed 1-15.

Skip went on to say he lost a fish that he would estimate at 4 or 5 lbs. "Made my drag scream," he reported.

He called it a day about 2 o'clock.









And last, but certainly not least, is this report from Jim Bauer on his final day at Lake Gaston. The bad boy he's holding proudly here weighed in at 3-10. He also had a 2-8, 2-6, 1-1, and three dinks.

"I think they call it perseverance, or maybe it's just not being willing to give up," said Jim. If you've followed his reports over previous days, you know he's had more than his share of frustrations trying to boat these wily creatures.

"Sure felt good to catch a few good fish," he concluded his email.

I can't say anything but "good on ya" to all these fine folks. There's absolutely nothing shabby about any of these reports. All I can add is: Keep 'em coming. My hand already is feeling better. Woo Hoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment