Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Just Our Luck!

By Jerry Gardner
 



A friend (and fellow church member) and I made our first casts at West Neck at 6:50 a.m. today. At 7:26, my friend, Eddie, boated the dink that he is so proudly holding in this photo.










Three minutes later, I boated this dink, which happened to be about twice the size of Eddie's.






As soon as Eddie caught his fish, I jokingly told him that I wanted to take a picture, just in case it turned out to be the only one of the day. Had I known I would jinx us for the rest of our trip with that statement, I surely would have kept the thought to myself. I managed to add one more dink to our sack, but that was it.

After four hours, we had reached our limit for dealing with the futility of it all and decided to return to the ramp. Wouldn't you know, though, that just as I powered up, an angler in a boat ahead of us, off to the right, landed a fish that looked like it easily would weigh at least 5 lbs. Even seeing that hawg, though, couldn't rejuvenate our interest.

Jerry went on to note in his email that he checked the water-level gauge at the ramp today and, after getting home, confirmed that adding 1.30 to the North Landing River level resulted in a West Neck Creek reading that matched the one he had photographed before leaving the marina. I tested Charlie's system yesterday when I was out and found only a 0.11 difference, which was good enough for this country boy. I'm satisfied that Charlie has come up with a real winner here.

No comments:

Post a Comment