Monday, May 5, 2014

Catchin' Fish and... Feedin' the Squirrels?

Here's one of two bass weighing 1.8 lbs. that my friend, Jim Bauer, caught today at Lake Gaston. He also boated another weighing 1.2 lbs, plus three dinks. Everything came on a French fry or a shakey head with a Rage craw.

Said Jim, "If I had boated everything I got hold of, it would have been a double-digit day. I lost two on a Rage shad before I left the cove," he continued. "One was a bruiser that smacked it right at the boat. And I lost what looked to be about a 3-pounder--also right at the boat. I missed the fish with the net when it came back out from running under the boat. I also had another good fish just come loose on the way to me."

Jim contends "these fish are late to spawn," noting that they haven't moved up on the docks yet. "The bite is funny. They just pick up the bait and swim off with it. Most of what I caught today came off stumps. The water is pretty stained, which makes it hard to see them, even with polarized shades. I finally saw a gar today, but neither they, nor the carp, are up under the docks yet. A full moon is coming soon, though, so that should get things moving."

It seems my buddy learned a lesson of another kind today, too--one totally unrelated to bass fishing. It started by leaving his lunch, snacks and drinks on the dock when he drove away this morning. He didn't realize what he'd done until he got hungry and found the cooler empty.

"When I got back to the dock," he explained, "the sandwich was missing. I found the plastic bags just off the walkway, but nothing remained in them but crumbs. I got a hunch there's at least one fat squirrel with a tummy full of ham and Swiss...LOL. That's a lot for one squirrel to eat, so maybe he and some friends had a banquet, thanks to me."

All wasn't lost, though, noted Jim. "The cheese crackers and granola bar hadn't been touched."

He closed his email by saying he was beat tonight, adding, "I hear the jacuzzi calling."

Good luck, my friend. Keep the reports coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment