Thursday, May 8, 2014

What a Difference a Day Makes

Fishermen everywhere have been saying that since the beginning of time. And today, it unfortunately was the reality that my friend Jim Bauer had to accept as he tied off his Skeeter in the boat house at the residence where he's staying on Lake Gaston.

From an eight-fish day yesterday, he went to a two-fish day today. The 2.10-pounder pictured here was the best of the two; the other was a 12-inch dink. He also had one pull off en route to the boat again today.
"Sure was a hot one," said Jim. Likewise, here, good buddy. When my wife and I were out running some errands earlier this afternoon, the outside temperature showed 95 degrees, and as far as I'm concerned, that's sweatin' weather. Jim went on to tell me that he saw a 78-degree water-temperature reading this afternoon.
Along with the warmer weather came Jim's first sighting of a "nasty critter" this year, which is his way of saying snake. "There was over 2 feet of it," he said, adding, "stayed close to shore and disappeared in the rip rap."
Jim closed today's email with a note saying it was "time to ride the range. I'm still in charge of everything, including cooking."
Better luck tomorrow, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment