Tuesday, May 13, 2014

More Snakes Than Fish Today

That's how Jerry described his first day on the water in more than a month. Despite all those ornery critters, he managed to boat this 12-inch bass at 9:20, after fishing for nearly three hours. He also caught an 11-incher.

"Although the fishing was very slow today," said Jerry, "it was NOT a day to doze off. The snakes were out in force."

He went on to describe an instance when he just had made a cast to the right side of the boat and looked forward before bumping the trolling motor to move the boat.

"There was a snake just a few feet ahead, with his eyes trained on me," said Jerry. "I flung my fluke at it as hard as I could, hoping to scare it away. The snake dove and swam away. Problem was, though, I didn't know where he went. Taking no chances, I quickly relocated further down the creek."

Before his day was over, Jerry also boated this 21-inch pickerel, noting that "the pickerel fortunately dislodged the fluke's hook while in the net, so that I didn't have to tackle him."

All three of Jerry's fish today fell for a watermelon fluke. The water temps all day were in the 73-to-76-degree range.

West Neck Creek had been Jerry's original choice of fishing locations today, but upon hearing he might have to wade high water to launch, he changed his mind. "I chose to hit the Northwest, instead," he said.

In any event, let me welcome you back to the fishing scene, Jerry. Here's hoping all the issues that kept you away have been resolved. Good luck, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment