Saturday, May 31, 2014

A Real Good Bass On...

Or so my friend, Ray Scott, thought when something attacked the bait on the end of his fly rod. "I just knew I had a 2 and a half or 3 pounder," he said.

He went on to explain that he held the rod tip in the water ever so vigilantly so the fish wouldn't jump, adding, "I wanted to just let him wear himself out."

The "proof in the pudding" came moments later, though, when he hauled--in his own words--"just another dink" into the boat. "Man, was I disappointed!" he exclaimed.

If it's any consolation, Ray, don't feel bad, 'cause I've chased my own share of "thought to be big bass" down the side of my boat, only to also find a strong-pulling dink, or worse--one of those rowdy toothy critters.

All was not lost however, because overall, Ray had a pretty good day yesterday while fishing Haynes and Godfrey Creeks, as well as the one north of Haynes. "Got my limit of dinks," he said, noting that most of them came on spinnerbaits and swimbaits.

The best part of his day, though, was the 15 or so bluegills he picked up with his fly rod, using sinking flies in black and yellow. "About a third of them were good sized," he wrote. On the other hand, he couldn't elicit much interest in topwater bugs.

Incidentally, Ray, don't let down your guard the next time you feel a mighty tug on the end of your fly line and are tempted to play it like just another ho-hum dink. Why? 'Cause if your luck runs anything like mine, that'll be the one time when you really do have a big 'un on.

Tight Lines! my friend.

Ray's fishing report was forwarded to me by our mutual friend, Charlie Bruggemann, who also has posted it on his blog. Check it out at http://vbfishguide.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment