Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Paying Tribute Where It's Due

Need to acknowledge some folks who are more help than they perhaps realize when it comes to doing these Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tournaments. As a young guy, I took great pride in being able to do a job all by myself. As I've grown older, though, I've had to accept the reality I'm no longer capable of doing everything (in fact, very little) alone...unless you don't mind watching someone perform at the speed of a turtle.

I try to make a point of thanking everyone who helps me with all the tournaments on a continuing basis, but I'm sure there are times I forget to do so. For that reason, I'm using this forum to demonstrate my appreciation for all those who regularly have my back.

Let me begin with Skip's wife, Leslie, who, since last year, has been recording all the numbers from our tournament weigh-ins. She also assists as needed with setting up and/or closing down the weigh-ins. And last June, when I had to give up driving for a spell, after having an episode of transient global amnesia, Leslie provided transportation to and from the tournament site. This is the same woman, too, who regularly shows up at oh-dark-30 on tournament mornings to help Skip launch his boat and then helps him recover it at day's end. I still recall, as well, a tournament a few years back, before the new catwalks were built at West Neck, when Leslie sloshed through high water to help not only Skip, but a whole host of other tournament competitors launch their boats. And when she's not busy with something on tournament day, she's the one who asks, "Anything else I can do to help?" What I wouldn't have given for a few more like her when I was a Navy chief.

Fellow West Neck tournament angler, Gary, is another steady contributor I can count on to set up and take down the scales, answer questions from whomever about whatever, distribute weigh-in bags, lend a hand to anglers getting in or out of their boats, and, in general, be a Good Samaritan. For example, at our April 13 tournament, he was quick to loan his jump-starter to my partner, Dave, when the starting battery in his boat died. And because our tournament last Saturday included a lot of solo anglers, he quickly recovered his boat, then turned right around and started helping other solo anglers get their rigs on the trailer. With him, things like that are par for the course. Like Leslie, he's a tireless volunteer.

Rounding out my helpers are two fellas from West Neck Marina. Tom (pictured right) is always on hand at the end of tournament days to assist with loading the two tote boxes of supplies and equipment into my van. He further tips me off to potential new tournament fishermen and/or gives them one of my business cards and suggests that they call or email me for the full details. More recently, Tom has been forwarding photos of the flooding as it occurs at West Neck for use on my blog. He's also been a strong tournament supporter in a way I'm not at liberty to divulge, because he asked me to keep it to myself.

And last, but certainly not least, I need to thank Gene, the new manager of West Neck Marina. Besides staying on top of all the marina's daily activities, he's the go-to guy for all my questions and serves as my tournament-day banker (making change for me as necessary). Further, when I don't have a tournament partner, as was the case last Saturday, Gene is ever-ready to assist me with launching and recovering the boat, then parking my vehicle. If there's a problem with my storage shed, he's quick to respond then, too. He just recently helped me install conduit over the power cord that connects my shed to the adjacent building. Seems rats or mice had been gnawing on the exposed cord and had caused it to short out. And finally, Gene is my "strong man." A retired firefighter, he has the proverbial strength of a bull. I know, because I've seen it in action.

I'm grateful for all these people, and I want them to know it. Without their assistance, these Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourneys likely would look a lot different...and not in a positive way, either. For everything you do, Thank you! Thank you! A million times over, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment