Monday, April 1, 2019

For the Week Ending Sunday, April 7, 2019



Monday, April 1 (from Ron)...Launched Monday evening at 4:45 on upper North Landing. Wasn't expecting much with the cold front. About 6:15, got a little crappie and a dink bass on the micro spinner. Satisfied that a skunk was out of the kayak, and with hands getting numb, headed back to the launch site, making a few casts here 'n' there as I went. Was throwing to shoreline structure when I got a good hit. At first, I thought it was about a 2-pounder. But then she realized she was hooked, and I soon had a great drag-screaming fight on my hands with what turned out to be a bass weighing 5 lbs. 2 ozs. Oh happy day!



Wednesday, April 3 (from Ron)...Fished 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Very low and murky water. Got one fish at 7:20 to avoid the skunk--a 14-inch bass on a micro spinner. Due to the water-level fluctuations, tons of surface debris and green slimy stuff was cluttering up the water tonight.



Thursday, April 4 (from Skip)...I only boated 1 fish today but had a lot of blowups. I saw Steve Bailey, who told me that he had good luck with a spinnerbait. I put on on and soon had three hits; however, they were all short strikes.

Thursday, April 4 (from Ray)...Talked to Ray this afternoon and learned that he didn't have a single strike on the whole day--not for a lack of trying, though. Easy-going Ray doesn't let a lackluster day on the water get him down. He just tries a little harder the next time and usually succeeds in turning his luck around.

Thursday, April 4 (from Dave and Ken)...Tried to get out yesterday, but the water was a bit too low at West Neck. Had a phone call from Dave yesterday evening, inviting me to join him at Pungo Ferry this morning and decided to take him up on his offer. We fished water running 52 to 55 degrees all day, and most of it was pretty clear. Each of us managed to boat three keeper bass, running anywhere from about 1-4 up to a max of perhaps just shy of 2 lbs. The water still was low today, and there were a few areas we had to give up on in favor of deeper water. All in all, though, it was a good day, and we both had a good time.

Thursday, April 4 (from Ron)...Fished Tecumseh from 4:30 to 7:30. Got a decent li'l bass early and had high hopes but couldn't find any more. The panfish turned on at sunset, and I put a few on the stringer for the fryer this weekend: two nice white perch and a crappie. A micro spinner and the XTS Minnow seemed to be what they wanted. Beginning to think I need to vary my lure selection.

Friday, April 5 (from Ron)...Experienced a couple of "firsts" tonight, starting with a tuna carcass laying at the launch site. Then, just after launch, I passed a point, and a goose came swimming toward me and squawking up a storm. I peddled faster and got away from him, but a few minutes later, when I slowed down and started into a feeder creek to start fishing, I noticed the goose was about 10 feet off my starboard stern. He stayed very nearby for the next two and a half hours. He would move in front, alongside, and often get in the way of where I wanted to cast. Wasn't bothered when I caught a fish; the splashing didn't phase him. Seemed like when I spoke with him, he would get right up alongside and even peck at the kayak. 'Twas the weirdest thing ever. He followed me all the way to the launch and hung around while I loaded up my gear and kayak--only a few feet away from the rancid, stinky tuna carcass. He was totally unphased by it. Ended the night with about a dozen crappie, a dink bass, and a 1-8.

Sunday, April 7 (from Ray)...Fished Albright's today. The water level and visibility were good. Caught four bass, with the largest going 1.4 pounds. Also got two nice perch. Used hard jerkbait and spinner with a 4-inch white grub. Tried several other lures without success. Water temp ran 57 to 60 degrees.

Sunday, April 7 (from Ron)...Saturday fished Blackwater. Four-hour effort produced four bass. "Dinks" doesn't describe three of them, but a 1-8 helped ease the pain. Is there a word for sub dink? Sunday did a long trip to the burrow pit. Crowded with five others out there (unusual). Trolled deep crankbaits and only caught a few crappie and a white perch. Watched a fella catch a few bass on plastics. They are starting to bed, so my choice of lures did me in. Load-out adjustment required.

No comments:

Post a Comment