Tuesday, April 9, 2019

For the Week Ending Sunday, April 14, 2019



Tuesday, April 9 (from Ron)...Fished upper North Landing Monday and only found one small white perch to avoid the skunk. The bite was ON...if you count mosquitoes! Altered my load out to include bug spray, some plastics, and headed to northern Back Bay this evening. Was unable to find a bite on the spinner, so shifted to Senkos. Throwing very, very tight to shore, I found a couple, but the bite was oh so subtle. No thumps or bumps. Instead, I would see a slight swirl or movement and then wait for what seemed like forever for the line to move. Lost a couple and caught a 1-14 and a 2-4. Painfully slow...

Wednesday, April 10 (from Ken)...Fished my INT No. 2 bait all day today and had a ball. Water temp at start was 60, and it had hit 70 by the time I quit. Caught a total of six bass, all of them keepers. In ascending order, they weighed in at 1-1, 1-5, 1-15, 2-6, 2-14, and 3-0, for a best-five total weight of 11-8. What made all the fish so special was that they all put on a tail-walking show like I haven't seen in a mighty long time. Fortunately, not a single one of them was able to spit the hook. My only hope is that, if I'm lucky enough to get into some more of the same kind of fish this coming Saturday, I can keep all of them down. Don't enjoy those acrobatics during a tournament.

Wednesday, April 10 (from Ron)...Five days ago, I had the goose trailing me at Beggars Bridge. Went back today and, after I launched, he came out to greet me again. He hung out for the next two hours doing his goose thing. Wasn't interested in my SwimSenko, the fish I caught, and I never offered any food. Stuck with me right up to recovery. After I got home, the spouse looked up Internet stuff. Apparently, ducks and geese will "imprint" with humans where they identify with a human if encountered after birth, but this wasn't a baby. Also, this time of year, they are always "paired up." Very odd. Anyway, me and my shadow caught four small bass, all on SwimSenko with subtle taps. I was being methodical, and all the hookups were nice lip hooksets. Not my favorite type of fishing, but the patience paid off.

Saturday, April 13 (from Ron)...Don't know how ya'll pulled in all those bass on Saturday. I went to Back Bay, and the reeds were flooded with no discernible "shoreline." Was a slow drive just to get to Horn Point, as the roads all were flooded about a foot deep. Fished back Bay and managed one bass at 1-9 to end a three-day skunk streak. I could see the reeds moving several feet beyond where I could possibly cast anything. The gar were obviously doing their springtime ritual, but the subtle reed movement most likely was bass feeding on the bait way up in the "grass" and reeds. Got soaked through and through. Will be off the water for a couple weeks.

Sunday, April 14 (from Ray)...Worked on my boat this morning and thought it would be un-American to be so close to my boat and not go fishing. I got on the water around 10. Hooked a total of three fish in West Neck, including a 3.06-pounder, a dink, and a nice fish that ended up breaking my line. I believe the line was frayed. The baits I used today were the lizard and Senko.

No comments:

Post a Comment