Saturday, April 27, 2019

All But 1 Boat Weighs Fish



There was no doubt in the minds of those 15 anglers in 11 boats what the day held in store for us. All the local forecasts were nearly in sync, predicting that we would have westerly winds averaging about 18 miles per hour, and boy were they ever right! It blew and blew, then blew some more...all day long.

Even with the wind, though, the anglers managed to put together a pretty decent day, as evidenced by the 45 bass they collectively weighed in at 2 o'clock. Their collective weight was 101.61 pounds, which yielded an average weight of 2.25 pounds per fish and 9.32 pounds per boat.

Those who laid claim to a payday included the following anglers:







Stan Krason, 1st place, with five fish weighing 17.78 pounds and a big fish weighing 5.13 pounds, which also earned him the day's lunker prize.







Gary Coderre, 2nd place, with five fish weighing 13.52 pounds (after a 0.25 deduction for one dead fish) and a big fish weighing 4.04 pounds.





The team of (from left) Bobby Moore and Steve Bailey, 3rd place, with five fish weighing 12.54 pounds and a big fish weighing 4.71 pounds.







Winners of the mystery-weight award were Mike Miller and Chris Fretard (not pictured), whose four-fish total weight of 5.24 pounds came closest to the drawn weight of 5.75 pounds.







Here is how everyone else finished:

     * Chris Napier, five fish, total weight 12.48 pounds, big fish 4.08 pounds.
     * Eddie Sapp, five fish, total weight 12.29 pounds, big fish  2.93 pounds.
     * The team of Rob Peppers and Don Carter, five fish, total weight 12.19 pounds, no big fish.
     * Skip Schaible, five fish, total weight 9.22 pounds, big fish 2.42 pounds.
     * Jim Wilder, four fish, total weight 4.33 pounds, no big fish.
     * Ken Testorff, two fish, total weight 2.02 pounds, no big fish.
     * The team of Zack Rhodes and Lamar Hines didn't weigh any fish.

Congratulations to all of the winners, and thanks to everyone who came out to participate. I also would like to tip my hat to those who helped with all the details that go into planning one of these events. For planning purposes, our next scheduled tournament is Saturday, May 11. It will kick off at safe light (about 6 o'clock), with weigh-in at 2 p.m.


One Last Cast

"Wrong Way" Corrigan has nothing on me. I, too, often have been known for doing things bass-ackwards, and today was no exception.

After having two practice sessions in as many weeks, one of which yielded better than 11 pounds of fish, and the other, more than 12 pounds, I barely made a showing in today's tournament. I had more strikes today, but the fish were short-striking my topwater baits. Two minimal keepers, one dink, and a big bowfin, which I nearly mistook for a bass before I got a good look at it, were the extent of my action.

The day got off on a bad note. My partner called and said his knee had popped out, and he wouldn't be able to make the tournament. Another surprise came mid-morning, when I picked up one of my St. Croix cranking rods and went to make a cast. There immediately was a loud pop, as the rod snapped in half. Can't remember the last time I had that happen to me. At least I don't have to buy a replacement, because, as it turns out, I have several other St. Croix cranking rods in my arsenal. Will just change the reel over and be ready to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment