Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Water's Gettin' Colder, But They're Still Bitin'


The water temp when I pulled away from the ramp at 10:30 this morning was 47.4. It only had increased to 49.9 when I came back at 2:30.

With the water level down again this morning, I couldn't resist the urge to go see if I could find a few fish. Things started slow, but I managed to catch a total of five fish before I quit. Among that total was one yellow perch, one pickerel, and three bass, including a dink, a 1-6 (above), and a 3-3 (below). I also missed a couple of strikes that simply were so soft I didn't realize they were strikes until it was too late. The tell-tale swirls in the water, though, told the story.

The productive baits again were a jerkbait and a flat-sided crankbait. Unfortunately, I hung the crankbait in a log on the bottom shortly after I caught the 3-3, and even with the assistance of a lure retriever, I wasn't able to get it back. That's OK, however, because I've already ordered three replacements that will be here in just a few days.

Best part of the whole trip was the fact I had West Neck all to myself today. There wasn't a vehicle in the parking lot when I left, or when I came back.

With the current weather predictions, you can bet I won't be sticking my bald head outside the door any more than necessary for the next couple of days. If they're right about the predicted temps for the weekend, though, I very well may try to get in another trip.


I had a conversation with Steve this morning, and he was telling me that he still plans to try getting completely out of the pool business by about April and devote all his time to the marina. In the meantime, he's working diligently to get rid of all the old boats on the premises for which it has been years since the owners  paid any storage fees. And of course, he's also engaged in trying to get his barbecue-sandwich truck operational, the kiddies playset completely up and usable, and the picnic tables ready.

Plans also are in the works to paint all the perimeter fencing. And, as I learned for the first time today, a tall telephone pole is in the works for the point down by the ramp. On the top of it will go a dusk-to-dawn light, which can be used for launching o-dark-30 tournaments. The light that has been used for that purpose in the past will remain in place but won't be used to launch tournament boats.

Stay tuned, because Steve indicates he also is mulling over some other advancements for the future.


I also received an email from Ron, telling me he had battled the incoming current at HRBT from 0300 to 0600 this morning. He caught about 25 stripers (said he lost exact count), with three of them keeper size..."nothing over 21 inches, though," he said. "In looking at the weather, I may suffer withdrawals for the next few days," he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment