Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Had To Be Extra Careful Launching Today


I knew the water was going to be low because, as usual, I had been following the river gauge for a few days. I like fishing these conditions this time of year, even when I'm on a shortened day.

I didn't launch until 10:30 this morning and had to spend the first 30 minutes idling around the creek to ensure the new hub on my prop seated correctly. Once that was done, I stopped and started a few times to find out if everything was acting normally.

Finally, at 11 o'clock, I went fishing for three-and-a-half hours. Managed to boat a total of six fish for the day, including four bass, one white perch, and one pickerel. My best bass weighed in at 1-7 (pictured left). I was using two baits: a jerkbait and a flat-sided crankbait. I hung both lures off and on today and always sweated whether I'd be able to get close enough to retrieve them, but my luck held.

The water temp was reading 49 when I launched and only had inched up to 51 when I quit.

I didn't see another fisherman anywhere today. My vehicle was the only one in the parking lot when I shoved off mid-morning, and the same was true when I came back this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment