Thursday, December 22, 2016

Summing Up 2016, Taking a Peek at 2017

The ancient Chinese philosopher and writer Laozi (also known as Lao-Tzu) once wrote, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." In my case, that journey began with one blog post, and that was back on May 9, 2012.

As of Saturday, Dec. 17, 2016, I logged my 1,000th post. The same date also saw my blog go over 200,000 pageviews.

Another item of significance was our 2016 Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series. Our totals through the season-ending two-day Classic were 930 bass weighed, with a total weight of 1,853.84 lbs., for an overall average of 1.99 lbs. per fish. In comparison, we weighed 697 bass in 2015, with a total weight of 1,279.33 lbs., for an overall average of 1.83 lbs. per fish.

And even as hard as it is for me to believe, the numbers on my personal 2016 fishing season are better than usual. Thus far in the year (with hopefully a couple more trips left), my totals are 290 bass, with only three skunks. Those numbers compare to 2014, when I caught a total of 192 bass and had three skunks, and 2015, when I caught 193 bass and had one skunk.

My current 290 total, incidentally, includes three more fish from today's trip to West Neck. Once again, the flat-sided crankbait was my workhorse. It produced a 2-0 bass about 10:30, followed by a 1-2 a bit later, and concluded with a 2-10 (right) about an hour or so before I quit at 2 o'clock. All three bites were identical: The rod would load up, and then you just would feel pressure.

There's no doubt in my mind that the improvement in my fishing this year is a direct result of a tip I got from Dave a few months back. His sharing that INT (I'll Never Tell) bait with me led to a more successful summer than I've seen in a very long time, and for that, I'll always be grateful. Can hardly wait for the 2017 topwater bite to start, so I can wear out some more of those INT baits.

I ran into Dave today. He was launching when I arrived at the marina this morning and returned to the ramp just moments before I headed home this afternoon. He fished the upper end of West Neck, where he caught some pickerel and one bass. Also ran into Jared Allbritten, who told me he was going to do a little fishing but was more interested in just logging some time on his new boat's outboard.

Getting back to my year-end wrap-up, though, I also have some special soft-plastic rigs made up for the new year. With any luck, they'll help me locate some bedding fish come spring. I'd never seen or heard anything about this particular rig until recently. My research revealed the concept really isn't new, but I couldn't find many anglers who seemingly have tried it to date. Will have to get back to you with an update once I've had a chance to give the rig an acid test. I do understand that a couple of West Neck guys have used this bait rather successfully, and I do like the way it looks in the water.

Another thing on my agenda for 2017 is to continue the use of my wintertime jerkbaits and flat-sided crankbaits right on into the coming spring. Some data I've gathered indicates these baits have the potential to serve you well, even after the water has warmed again. At the moment, they're the only baits I'm throwing, because they're the only things working. I've always been one of those dudes who believes you should stay with a productive bait until it stops working. I also generally believe you shouldn't leave fish to go looking for more...unless maybe you need a kicker.

In closing, I owe a giant "Thank You!" to West Neck Marina Manager Steve Winfree for continuing to host our Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series. He, along with our anonymous benefactor, also deserve our thanks for the second-to-none cookouts that have been provided all anglers at the conclusion of our last two Classic tournaments. There couldn't be a better way to end two hard days of fishing--on that, I think we all can agree.

My final wish simply is this: Tight Lines! to one and all in 2017. Look forward to seeing you on the water. Oh, and Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment