Saturday, December 24, 2016

'Twas the Night Before Christmas (5 of 5)


By Dave Landahl

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all 'cross the water,
Not a creature was stirring, not even my daughter;
The rods were all geared up with fresh line and plastics,
In hopes that a big bass trips the light fantastic.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of Billy Bass danced in their heads;
And mamma in her camo grown, and I in my fidori,
Just sat down to watch "A Christmas Story."

When out on the lake there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the lounger to see what was the matter;
Away to the garage I dashed like a runner,
I backed in the boat and started to gun her.

The moonlight showed the remains of a ripple,
The excitement had me frozen, almost a cripple;
When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a giant greenback I had to commandeer.

Like a little old angler, so quiet and quick,
I reached in a box and got the Ugly Stick;
More rapid than eagles my casts how they flew,
Only to get a nibble or two.

Now, St. Croix! Now, Daiwa! Now, Pradco and Plano!
On, Crawlers! On, Spinners! On, Divers and Senko!
To the top of the water! To the bottom and all!
Now cast away! Cast away! Cast away all!

As bats to the light like wild hurricane fly,
Then the Big One's silhouette mounts to the sky;
So up went my rod as I set the hook,
Surprised that a few cranks was all it took.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard a small sound,
But no other creature was even around;
As I drew in my catch, and extracted the bait,
That bass said, "What's up? My name is Nate."

He was dressed all in scales, from his mouth to his tail,
His color was deep, and mine had turned pale;
I set him down gingerly upon the deck,
And he waved at me with the fin on his pec.

His eyes how they twinkled! His tail, how strong!
His gills were like roses, his body so long!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a smile,
I stood there frozen for what seemed like a while.

I had cut my fingers on his sharp little teeth,
His open mouth was the size of a wreath;
He had a scarred face and a little round belly,
That shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of jelly.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old fish,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He said, "Thanks for letting me catch you tonight,
Since it's Christmas, I feared I'd have nothing to bite;
But I splashed and you came,
Like I called you by name.

Now put me back in, and I'll take a breath,
And tell you the secrets from down in the depths;
Then I heard him exclaim, ere he dove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all...fish at night."


Sport-fishing-industry veteran Dave Landahl (left) has fished from coast to coast and chased a multitude of fish species during his 40-plus years of angling. Along with all of this, he was a tournament angler and a fishing guide. His background as a representative for the sport-fishing community covers multiple decades. Landahl has spent a large portion of that time promoting and writing for ESPN Outdoors.com, OutdoorsFIRST Media, BassFan, FLW Outdoors, and a host of other outdoor-related media. He also has promoted recreational fishing and boating throughout the USA, previously working for the Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation and promoting their Anglers' Legacy campaigin and Take Me Fishing. Landahl further was the host, along with his wife Kristin, of a popular Chicago area radio show, "The Fishing Fanatics." Said Landahl, "My love of the sport of fishing is vast. Like all of you, I want to fish every day I can. I dream about fishing, even when I am fishing. I hope my years in the fishing industry and time on the water will help produce products you find entertaining and will enhance your fishing lifestyle."

No comments:

Post a Comment