Saturday, November 19, 2016

Sittin' Home Wishin' I Had Gone Fishin'

That's the undeniable thought that crossed my mind as I stepped outside a little earlier to move a bag of yard waste for my wife. When the warmth of that bright sunshine wafted across my face, I only wanted to be one place...and it wasn't standing in my driveway.

When I came back to my computer, I decided to Google the phrase I chose for the title to this post, and one of the things that immediately popped up was the lyrics to this song:

Home Wishing I Had Gone Fishing

Davin James, Davin James Music/BMI
Layne McGuffee

You can chunk a spinerbait,
You can work a worm,
You can crank a rattletrap
'Til your fingers burn.
Hula popper, jitterbug,
And a silver spoon,
Well, I hope we get to do some fishing soon.

Chorus

I'm home wishing
That I'd gone fishing,
Gone fishing,
You know I'd rather be fishing.

Blabbermouth, devil's horse, and a big O,
A hot spot, rogue, tiny torpedo,
Buzzbait, little george, and a zara spook,
I'll catch you on a lake bank soon.

Chorus

If the bass ain't bitin',
We'll change our luck;
We'll get a bucket full of crickets,
And we'll watch that bobber duck.

Chorus

You might hear me holler,
For big night crawler,
When I'm fishin' with my ol' cane pole,
And nothing could be finer,
Than a couple dozen shiners,
When we're sitting on a crappie hole.

Chorus

If you're interested in hearing a sampling of these lyrics set to music, first click on this link: www.davinjames.com/discography/old-soul/, then click on the "play" button shown beside the album cover.

I'll undoubtedly be kickin' myself for a long time to come because I sat home. On a day this nice, I don't even need to catch a fish--I just need to be out there on the water. And I feel equally certain I'll likely see some fishin' reports later that only will serve to make me feel even worse. Oh well... .

No comments:

Post a Comment