Friday, November 11, 2016

Getting on the Water While I Still Can


The weather folks already are using words like "first frost" and "first freeze," so figured I'd take advantage of this Veteran's Day to log a few more hours chasing fish in West Neck Creek. There was a chill in the air when I launched about 8:10 this morning, but my thermos of hot coffee made it more than a little bearable.

It took an hour before I hit my first fish this morning: the 1-10 in this photo. He came off a piece of wood to snatch my chatterbait. A couple hours later, I just had met up with a fella and a young boy (I'm guessing probably his son) in the mouth of a cove, and he was telling me about his trip to West Neck a week ago in which he had boated a 2-4 and 4-2 on a Rattletrap. Today, however, the Rattletrap wasn't producing.

We talked for a few minutes, then he and the boy proceeded on their way, while I turned to work over a nearby stump. Only the top of it was exposed. On my first cast to that stump, I saw a swirl and immediately felt a fish on my Thin N. The fish weighed 1-5. As soon as I released him and had put down the scales, I turned the boat around and fired a second cast to the same stump, saw another swirl, and boated a 12-inch 12-oz. bass. That fish turned out to be the last one I saw or felt until I called it quits at 2 o'clock.

Three fish in six hours isn't anything to shout about, but I'll gladly take such a tally this time of year.


My note from Ron this evening indicated he had gone to Milldam this morning. Fishing from 0730 to 1100, he caught a dink bass and a 1-7, as well as one keeper crappie, which is what he really was after. He described the conditions around the bridge as "crystal clear but covered in debris." And the farther east he went, the more murky the water became.

Ron's only bites came in the main creek--nothing in the feeder creeks. The two bass came on a Whopper Plopper and the XTS Minnow. A beetlespin fooled the crappie.

Despite the chilly conditions predicted for tomorrow, Ron indicated he'll be out again, seeing what he can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment