Wednesday, November 9, 2016

One Way To Keep a Tailpipe High and Dry

For a long time now, I've often launched my boat with the tailpipe underwater, and while I've never had a problem, listening to those bubbles coming from the tailpipe always has been a bit unnerving.

A fix-it idea came to me here a couple months ago, and I decided to follow up on that idea today. I first checked online to find that Advance Auto Parts carries an assortment of flex pipe--the same stuff I often used back in the day when installing dual exhausts on my old cars. Boy, were those the days! Nothing could beat the sound of twin Hollywood mufflers with choke-wired cutouts on both sides for that ever-so-sweet straight-pipe effect when I wanted it...and knew John Law wasn't around (FYI: there only was one in my hometown). However, I digress.

When I arrived at the local store today, I learned they sell several different 18-inch lengths of flex pipe with various inside diameters, including the 2.5-inch model I needed. Along with the pipe, a muffler clamp is included in the box. The package price for the model I brought home was only $8.59 plus tax.

Now, when the water is high at West Neck as I'm getting ready to launch, I'll slap on the flex pipe, bend it up into the desired position, and never have to listen to those annoying bubbles ever again. I'll likely attach the extension the night before, because I constantly monitor the North Landing water-level gauge, so I always know when the water is high.

I feel sure no one with today's high-riding pickups has to deal with this sort of problem, but if you own an old mini-van similar to mine or perhaps a low-riding passenger car, it might be worth your time to at least consider this or a similar idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment