Monday, November 7, 2016

Can You Catch Bass With Topwater Baits in Winter?

A lot of anglers will answer that question with an emphatic NO. However, there are those inclined to take exception.

A contention held by many is that when the water temperature drops below 50 degrees, it's time to put away the topwaters. However, some of those even will caution you against stowing these baits prematurely. As one Elite Series pro pointed out, "Just because it's cold outside doesn't mean the topwater bite isn't hot. I like to target the topwater bite if the water temperature has been in the low 60s, and then a big cold front blasts the area, and the air temperature drops into the 30s," he explained.

That pro went on to urge anglers to think of snow and sleet storms during the early winter months the same way they think of rain and thunderstorms during the warmer months. "The bass don't know if it's snowing, sleeting or raining," he said, "and it really doesn't matter to them. It's all about the change in barometric pressure."

Topwater baits also are effective in colder water because, during the late fall, bass spend the majority of their time gorging themselves on shad located in the upper half of the water column. According to the Elite Series pro, "They're going to blast something on the surface if the temperature is right and there is a barometric drop." His go-to topwater offering in early winter is usually a buzzbait because it mimics a flickering shad and triggers a reaction strike as it moves past the bass.

I found an FLW pro who agrees that, anytime the temperature is above 50 degrees, even in January and February, you should be throwing a buzzbait, especially if there's any vegetation and wood around. He customizes his buzzbaits, though, with a rubber frog, swimbait, or other piece of soft plastic behind the buzzbait. "When I rig like this, I give the bass a better target to look at than just a skirt," he said. Another advantage of a rig like this is that you can cast it farther and better. The solid body on the back of the buzzbait also entices the bass to take more of the bait in their mouth.

When retrieving this rig, it's recommended that you keep the soft plastic under the water. The bass then doesn't have to break the water to take the bait--he just can suck the body into his mouth while staying underwater.

The FLW pro who fishes this rig claims there is one additional advantage involved: It allows you to skip it under docks before starting the retrieve. "I can skip a buzzbait 30 feet back under a dock if it has a soft-plastic body like a frog or swimbait attached," he said. "Sometimes, I can't even see the buzzbait; I only can hear it. I set the hook when I hear or feel the bass strike. And if the bass won't take a frog, I'll switch to a swimbait, and the bass usually will take that."

One thing you need to remember is this: Winter fishing can be some of the most fickle you'll ever experience. As the Elite Series pro explained, "Some bodies of water are just better than others for a late-season topwater bite. I've fished lakes located right next to each other and had success on one, while the other didn't produce at all."

Anytime the conditions are right (e.g., a dramatic air-temperature drop follows a warming trend), though, try topwater, because the bass are reacting to the barometric pressure. "They're not thinking about the snow, sleet or rain," said the Elite Series pro.

I, personally, have an old-fashioned take on when to throw topwater baits. For example, I don't wait for the water to warm to 60 degrees in the spring before I start tossing them; neither do I put them away when the water temp drops to 50 degrees in the fall. I often keep one tied on and test it periodically year-round, especially after a few hours of bright sunshine and/or when I see any kind of activity in the water.

Don't get me wrong. My main arsenal in cold water always is an assortment of crankbaits, jerkbaits and chatterbaits, but I also keep some topwater baits handy, too, including a wide array of wakebaits. As another Elite Series pro once remarked, "If you're on a good topwater bite and a cold front comes through, a wakebait can be a killer backup plan in those same areas."

That, my friends, is how I believe you must deal with "fickle."

No comments:

Post a Comment