Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I Had an Itch I Just Had to Scratch


When I went to bed last night, the wind had laid flat, so I figured some water would come back in West Neck Creek overnight. Knowing that, I readied all my gear before I called it a night, because I knew I would be heading to the creek this morning and at least try to launch. I had it figured spot on--the water had come in 0.6 feet overnight, so I got to scratch the itch I had had ever since my outing last Wednesday.

This 1-8 bass was my best of the day, but I ended up with five more that were within ounces of being the same size. I also boated three dinks during the day.

The magic bait for the first half of the day was a Strike King 1XS in firetiger. When they got tired of that, I picked up a Bandit Footloose in white with a chartreuse back, and they started hitting it every bit as good as they had the 1XS. I missed several strikes besides the nine bass that I managed to catch by day's end. My final tally also included two white perch, one yellow perch, and one pickerel.

My friend, Charlie, launched his kayak right behind me this morning. We talked briefly before he departed the parking lot this evening, and I learned that he had boated about 15 today, with one of them a bit better than 2 lbs. I saw him catch that fish and weigh it.

If the weather forecast I heard this morning holds true, tomorrow will be a wet one, which means I'll be staying home. The weather forecast this evening indicated southwest winds for tomorrow but swinging to the north and northwest after the rain passes and kicking up to 15-25, with a drop in temperatures. Reckon I'll have to take a wait-and-see attitude for my next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment