Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Little Peek at What "May" Lie Ahead

I don't know how many of you subscribe to the predictions found in this age-old publication. I only know that my late-pop used it regularly to, among other things, schedule his annual vegetable plantings. And I can't begin to tell you how many times, as a kid, I'd hear "those ol' codgers" (of which I now am one) stand around on Main Street in my little hometown on Friday or Saturday night, jawin' about something they just had read in this publication.

I'd dare say probably not even 1 in 10 kids today have even heard of "The Old Farmer's Almanac," much less be able to tell you what kind of information it contains. However, I thought perhaps some of you "mature" folks might find this freebie snapshot of predicted weather for Virginia Beach interesting. I found it online today while researching another topic.

NOVEMBER 2013: temperature 53° (2° below avg.); precipitation 4.5" (1.5" above avg.); Nov 1-8: Heavy rain, then sunny, cold; Nov 9-19: Rain, then sunny, cool; Nov 20-22: Showers, warm; Nov 23-30: Rain, then sunny, cool.

DECEMBER 2013: temperature 43° (4° below avg.); precipitation 2.5" (1" below avg.); Dec 1-5: Sunny, cold; Dec 6-11: Rain and snow showers, then sunny, cold; Dec 12-16: Rainy periods, mild; Dec 17-20: Sunny, cold; Dec 21-25: Rainy periods; warm, then cool; Dec 26-31: Sunny, cold.
 

Annual Weather Summary: November 2013 to October 2014


Winter will be colder and drier than normal, but with above-normal snowfall in much of the region. The coldest periods will be in early and late December, early to mid-January, and early February. The snowiest periods will be in early to mid-February and in late February. April and May will be a bit warmer than normal, with near-normal rainfall.Summer will be hotter than normal, with above-normal rainfall, especially near the coast. The hottest periods will occur in mid- and late June and in mid-July.September and October will be slightly cooler than normal, with near-normal rainfall. Expect a hurricane threat in mid-September.

Temperature and Precipitation November 2013 to October 2014


Temperature and Precipitation Graph

It's too bad the Almanac can't tell me what kind of fishing success I'll have this next year. But then again, maybe it's better that I don't know, 'cause I'm not sure I could stand the thought of having another year like the one that's fast drawing to a close.

Anyway--hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment