Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Big Day for Justin--And He Did It By Keeping Things Simple


How simple? you may be asking. This simple: a green and black swimbait on a beetle-spin frame. I don't know how everyone else feels, but in my opinion, folks, that's pretty basic.

A buddy of mine who paddles around a lot in a kayak--Charlie is his name--often resorts to the same sort of rig for catching bass. He's had many double-digit days with such a rig, and in the distant past, so have I.

The problem is that, over the years, I've let tackle manufacturers "lure" me into believing I need fancy baits with a big price tag to catch fish. As a result, about the only thing they haven't been able to sell me yet is a piece of oceanfront property in Arizona.

All kidding aside, I'm leaning toward at least a partial return to some of the basics after receiving my latest email from Justin Reese, who incidentally, gets my heartiest congratulations on his selection for Navy chief petty officer.

Here's a pretty good reason, as I see it, for getting back to the basics when it comes to bass fishing. This "hoss" is just one of two that Justin boated yesterday in West Neck Creek, while fishing that bait in the photo above. He was working the eastern shoreline above the bridge at the time and just had caught a dink when this bruiser hit.

An important part of this story is the fact that Justin had shoulder surgery three weeks ago. He only had planned to run the boat a little yesterday, get in a few casts, and then call it a day.

For that or whatever reason, he didn't have any scales in the boat to weigh his fish yesterday. He was upset with himself over that situation but was able to put it in perspective by noting, "She was a nice catch for a guy who hasn't been able to fish lately."

He snagged another dink, then got hold of this good 'un in the photo at right. With his shoulder getting sore, he decided he should call it a day and headed to the ramp.

I watched Justin recover just ahead of me, but he already had left the parking lot by the time I got my boat on the trailer. As he explained in his email this morning, he was in a rush yesterday--a situation we've all been in at one time or another.

I'm just happy he decided to share the details of his day yesterday with me, so I, in turn, can share them with all of you. If ever you needed a reason for getting back to the basics with your bass fishing, Justin's story from yesterday certainly should suffice. Way to go, Chief!

No comments:

Post a Comment