Saturday, November 16, 2013

Homemade Spinnerbait Makes His Day


I received an email from Charles Murdock earlier this afternoon, and it had a photo attached of this nice 3.9-lb. bass that he caught today while fishing south in West Neck Creek. He said he also caught a dink earlier this morning.

Charles' bait of choice in both cases was a 1/4-oz. spinnerbait that he made himself. As he explained, he even hand-tied the skirt.

I'm learning there are quite a few anglers making their own baits these days. I don't know if it's because Dewey isn't around to do it for us anymore or what, but I think it's great that some folks have the talents and skills to do things on their own like this, especially when it produces results like you see in the photo at right.

I've sometimes been known to alter baits for one reason or another, but I never have tried to make one from the bottom up. I've always prided myself on knowing what things I'd best leave to someone else, and making homemade lures certainly fits in that category. Believe me when I say it's in everyone's best interests that I stick to trying to write stories that others find interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment