Saturday, November 2, 2013

A Day on the Water With...

That's the title for a new feature I plan to test on my blog, hopefully starting later this month. I've already gotten a candidate to agree to being my first subject, but I'm going to keep his identity anonymous until the feature actually appears. He has a commitment or two that he first has to get out of the way before we spend our day together on the water. Incidentally, all the candidates will pick the body of water they want to fish, with absolutely no input from me.

As you already may have guessed, this idea sprang from "Day on the Lake," which appears in each issue of Bassmaster. However, I won't be using the timeline concept that you find used there. Naturally, I will be talking about the fish the angler catches--their size, what lure was used, how it was being worked--all the kind of stuff you find in the Bassmaster articles. I'll also be talking about the weather and water conditions. Similarities pretty much will end there, though.

I plan to profile the individuals who agree to help me with questions like this:
     * Where do you hail from?
     * Where did you attend high school and/or college?
     * What do you do for a living? If retired, what did you do before you retired?
     * Do you have any hobbies? If so, what are they?
     * How did you come to get into fishing to start with? How old were you at the time?
     * What's the biggest bass you've ever caught? What was the date? Where were you at the time?
     * What, if any, are your long-range plans--for fishing or otherwise?

And, too, I'll be poised to jot down the details of any good fish tales I happen to hear while we're out on the water.

If this idea goes over well with the readers, and if I can keep finding willing subjects, I'll probably keep it going. I should explain here that I will not be doing any fishing on these trips. The only things I'll be carrying with me are my camera, a notepad, some pens, and likely a little coffee and/or water. My sole angle is the writer's angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment