Monday, March 11, 2013

You're 'da Man, Eddie!

 


One look at this mess of fish being held up by Eddie Sapp should explain why I used the above headline. He estimated these biggest 5 as weighing 13 or 14 lbs., and I'd have to agree.

This is just part of the story, though. Eddie boated between 15 and 20 bass today--all in West Neck, all above the bridge, and all on craw-pattern soft plastics fished in shallow water, mostly on wood. He had a limit before 11 o'clock--about an hour after he hit the water (I know because he launched right behind me)--and culled all afternoon. Furthermore, he lost two at the boat that he said probably would have weighed 5+ lbs.

"I had a pretty good day," said the ever-modest angler.

Meanwhile, I beat the water to death down in Albright's today--all for naught. Bottom line: I logged my second skunk for the year.

The "high point" of my day, if you could call it that, came while I was pouring myself a cup of coffee from my thermos about mid-morning. I just had wheeled a SwimSenko up into a cut on the left shoreline, then laid my rod down to pick up my thermos on the floor to my right. After pouring a cup, I was taking a drink when I glanced out the corner of my eye and saw my braid headed for the middle of the creek at breakneck speed. The line was moving so fast it was cutting a V in the water--no joke. The reward I got for spilling hot coffee while sitting down my cup, picking up my rod, taking up the slack, and making a half-a...d hookset was a giant swirl as the fish turned the worm loose.

As the day wore on, I had a couple more swings and misses on the SwimSenko and one on a Bandit Footloose.

Oh well...there'll be another day--or so I hope, anyway. Guess maybe I just need to start fishing soft plastics all day.

Again, congrats on your day's catch, Eddie. Job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment