Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Skunk String Ends at Only 2


Having notched two consecutive skunks, I was concentrating hard when I hit the water at 10 o'clock this morning. I first ran upriver to check out an old haunt that usually produces fairly well in spring but only felt one bump on a Bandit Footloose, and that came as I just was working my way into the area. When I didn't see, hear or feel anything in the next hour, I decided to run back to West Neck.

Between about 11:15 and 2:45, I boated 4 bass, the best one this 2-3. The next best was a 1-6. I also had a 12-incher and 1 dink. Everything fell for the same Bandit I had the first hit with this morning. I also threw a Senko swim-tail, as well as a chatterbait and a Yo-Zuri SS Minnow, without even a smell.

I made the mistake of misjudging exactly how much water was in the creek today, and about 2 o'clock, I found myself sitting atop a stump field in West Neck. I knew the stumps were there; I just didn't think the water was so skinny I would ground the boat's stern on them. Fifteen frantic minutes with a paddle hadn't produced the first results, so after testing what was beneath the prop, I lowered the outboard just enough to get a little traction, and that act proved to be the magic I was so desperately looking for. Needless to say, I made a mental note for the next time I find myself in that area again.

The water temp today ranged from 50 when I started to 52 when I quit. Visbility was pretty decent in both locations I fished.

Steve Bailey launched ahead of me this morning and came roaring back into West Neck before I quit. He idled down when he saw me, and we compared notes. He had had an excellent day, with a total of 15 bass, 6 pickerel, plus a few others. "Just hope the pattern holds for the tourney Saturday," said Steve.

I also received an email today from Charlie Bruggemann, who spent yesterday in the Alton's Creek Oxbow. His tally for the day was 5 bass in the small-to-medium-size range. His best one was a 1-14 that he caught on a jig-and-pig.

I forgot one additional piece of information last night when I posted this note. Before coming home yesterday afternoon, I stopped by the marina store, where I ran into Jane Mullins. She told me that Steve has hired her to mind things there most Wednesdays for the foreseeable future. So if you've been wondering about her, here's your opportunity to renew your friendship and to catch up on all the chit-chat. I spent a very enjoyable half-hour or so yesterday afternoon with her and learned that she plans to be around this coming Saturday, March 23rd, for the kickoff of the 2013 Dewey Mullins Memorial Bass Tourney Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment