Monday, August 12, 2024

Deer Hunting or Fall Bass Fishing: That's Mark Zona's Big Dilemma

Zona (left) admits that he's a hard-core hunter, but that fact creates a big problem for his other love: bass fishing. Why? Because at the same time he needs to be in the woods scouting, running trail cameras, and preparing properly for deer season, the fall big-fish bite is in full swing, too.

Said Zona, "I can't tell you how many days I've spent in a tree stand, asking myself what I'm doing there and why I'm not on the lake. So yeah, I'm a fall-fishing addict."

While never a fan of early fall fishing, when the fish are scattered in shallow, mid-depth and deep areas of the lake, and it's hard to get on a pattern, Zona thoroughly enjoys nights when the temperatures start dipping into the 30s and 40s, and fall fades quickly. 

"It's then those big bass get in their wintering holes and squat down with their friends," he said. "Some of my best fishing experiences have occurred when the water temperature dips below 50 degrees here in Michigan. The fish group up, feed heavily, and are less inclined to roam around.

"Wintering holes can differ from lake to lake," he continued. "Generally speaking, though, they are deeper areas, which offer a large forage base and quick access to shallow water."

Another key element Zona looks for in a prime wintering hole is the last of living plant life.

"If there is no grass, I look for rock, deep wood, brush piles, and anything else that attracts bait fish and bass," he explained. "To be honest, some of my best wintering holes were found by watching pan fishermen during the late season. On our lakes, bass like to live where the perch, bluegill and crappie school.

"Otherwise, I live behind the wheel of my Nitro. Graphing constantly is a terribly boring way to spend your day on the water, but my Humminbird graphs are my eyes. And that's not a sales pitch. I can find exactly what I'm looking for by staring at the graph for hours, as opposed to aimlessly casting. When I see cover, bait, and lots of big marks, I know I've hit the jackpot.

"A good wintering hole can hold a massive population of bass...not five or 10, but hundreds, because there no longer is a reason for them to be shallow."

Another fun fact about fishing this time of year, as noted by Zona, "is you don't have to rummage through your tacklebox to determine what they will bite. The lure selection is very small, ranging from a blade bait to a small swimbait or an old-school grub on a jighead. The fish don't have a big strike zone, and those baits stay in their wheelhouse longer.

"That doesn't mean it's always easy. You must remember that the really late fall-fishing window is small. Rarely do the fish feed the entire day. The windows of opportunity may last only 15 to 30 minutes, and no more than two or three times during a day. But, dude, when it happens, it's epic!"

If you find yourself sitting in a tree stand this fall, thinking about how nice fishing might be that day, "Remember there is a true gold mine to be found on your favorite bass lake," admonished Zona. "You just have to get out there and do it."


During my first read of this story, I was reminded of many instances during my younger days, when I'd venture out on the water in fall, looking for bass. Several times I would happen upon a hunter perched in a tree stand with a gun and thermos of coffee at his side, trying to stay warm, as he waited on an unsuspecting deer to wander within range. Can't tell you how many times they would say something to the effect: "I envy you today. Wish I had brought a rod along, 'cause I'd jump in the boat with you in a heartbeat."

No comments:

Post a Comment