Monday, June 20, 2022

Whether It's Carp or Those Toothy-Critters, They're All the Same in My Book

There's a joke dating back to at least my early childhood and likely beyond. It describes how to prepare and cook a carp for eating.

According to the instructions, one should clean the fish, put it on a wooden cutting board, season, and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Then throw away the carp and eat the cutting board.

In reality, there are several fish species that I never would consider eating. Carp is only one of them. I also wouldn't sample any of those toothy critters. That's just me, though.

Received a note today from my kayaker buddy, Ron, who told me that he now has sampled snakehead.

"Unlike most fish," he noted, "they are not 'flaky' when cooked. The texture is more 'meat-like.' Very tasty with only light seasoning and a bit of olive oil. Yummy! Right up there with flounder."

Reckon that's why we have that saying which goes, "Different strokes for different folks." Doesn't matter if it's snakehead, bowfin, gar, or any other such creature. All you'll hear from me is: PASS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment