Thursday, June 30, 2022

What's a Little Fishin' Gonna Hurt? I Gotta Run the Boat Anyway


Those evidently were "Doc" Murdock's thoughts as he was getting ready to make a trip to West Neck Creek Marina earlier today. Here's why I say that.

Seems Wayne recently had done some much needed maintenance on "Doc's" outboard, and he had settled on today for dropping the boat in the water to see if everything was working OK.

"I really wasn't out to fish," he said in the email note I received from him afterward. However, don't you know he just happened to have his fishing gear in the boat when he ran the checks. Furthermore, he even found enough time...three hours, to be exact, to make a few casts...and, yes, he also managed to catch a few fish. There were a total of three, including two small ones and a 14-incher that weighed 1 lbs. 6 ozs. His lures of choice were a crankbait and a swimjig.

I would just say this to you "Doc"...You really don't have to sell me. After all, I've been there and done the same thing a few times. As it has been my experience, the only person you might have to sell is your better half, but they all usually understand we fishermen are addicted to our favorite pastime. Just in case, though, if you have an old football helmet laying around somewhere, you might want to keep it handy.

Actually, "Doc," I'm just kiddin' ya, but I feel sure you know that.

On a different note, "Doc" asked me to relay his special thanks to those West Neck fellas who have proven to be such good friends over the years. He mentioned guys like Wayne, Skip, Gary, Ray, and yours truly.

"You're always looking out for me," he said, "and I'd like to thank all of you."

That's easy to do, "Doc," when the guy we're helping is someone as nice as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment