Sunday, June 5, 2022

"Just Nudge 'Em in a Different Direction If They Get Too Close"

That's the advice of a Virginia fella I read about online for those occasions when a water snake tries to take up temporary residence in places like the splashwell of your bass boat.

So, what brings this subject matter to the forefront of my current thinking? Just so happens that yesterday, while I was photographing a kids' event at Munden Point Park, I happened to spot what appeared to be a water snake fairly close by to a lady with a couple of boys who were participating in the event. I simply made her and one of the event organizers aware of the snake's presence, then swiftly went about my business.

Earlier, however...during our last tournament on May 21st, to be exact...I had heard about one of the boats involved having to deal with more than the usual number of snake sightings in close proximity of where the boater and his partner had chosen to fish. As he noted in a text to me today, "We had at least 10 snakes swimming around in one area alone.

"A few different times," he continued, "I had them crawling up the back of my boat and had to use the end of a rod to simply flip them back into the water. They were all just water snakes from what I could tell, so wasn't too worried about them."

The boater went on to add, though, that he "did see one big water moccasin pass by, but it thankfully kept its distance."

Only on a couple of occasions have I ever happened across an area where I found multiple snakes, and I assure you that, both times, I made a quick exit. The same could be said for the one and only time I ever saw a bear cross a stream behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment