Wednesday, June 1, 2022

From Butt-Ugly Dirty to Good As New and, Moreover, Working Just Fine

That's the message I have for the unfortunate soul who, at some point in the past, lost a white Veritas rod with a Lew's baitcaster attached, along with a spinnerbait on the end of the line. In case you haven't read my post from Monday, May 30, that's the rig I happened to snag with a crankbait just moments after Wayne had boated a 5-8 bass.

Had a phone call from Wayne earlier today, in which he said the rod, as well as the reel, looked as good as new...and worked the same way. Said he had decided to spool up the reel and check out how it cast. Suffice it to say he had nothing but praise for it.

Told me I should have kept the rig for myself, but I'm not a fan of rods with a split grip, which is what this Veritas had. As for the reel, I didn't figure it ever would work right again, but then, I should have known better, considering how anal Wayne is about all his "toys." He's never satisfied unless it's working to a T, and he doesn't mind how much effort it takes on his part to make it that way.

I would venture to say that the vast majority of anglers everywhere in this land have, at one time or another, lost a rod and reel...or two...over the side of a boat. I know I have. Still remember the rig I lost in Albright's here two or three years ago when I accidentally bumped it while grabbing the net for a fish my partner at the time, Dave, had on. Got the fish but didn't find my rod that day, nor the next two times I went searching for it. Finally just gave up.

Also read an item online today about a fella...another writer, no less...who described the time back in the late 70s, when he lost his first baitcaster while fishing Lake Millwood in Arkansas with a friend.

"Just that day," he said, "I had bought a brand new Ambassadeur 5001C reel, and let me tell you: It was EXPENSIVE at the time.

"We had tied on big black worms, and on the first cast, I felt a tap, set the hook, and the fish immediately pulled the rod and reel right out of my hand. It was gone before I could jump for it. The water was about 15 feet deep and very cold."

This fella went on to explain that he borrowed a rod from his friend, 'cause he only had that one. They both subsequently tied on deep-diving crankbaits...Mudbugs, if his recollection was correct, and started reeling them as fast as possible, trying to snag the rod and reel off the bottom.

"Only thing was, though, we started catching bass...nice ones, at that," he noted. "We caught about seven or eight over the next 45 minutes, and then I hooked what felt like a really big one. I fought it for several minutes before finally getting a glimpse of it, and there was another bass right beside it. I managed to get it to the boat, and my friend netted it. The fish only weighed about two pounds, but it was wrapped around a fishing line that had made it feel bigger.

"I started pulling in the line by hand and soon felt another fish on it. At the end of that line was my rod and 5001C reel. We got the entire rig back, along with both fish."

Both fellas decided to keep some of the fish they had caught for table fare.

The one with the rod and left-hand retrieve 5001C Ambassadeur continued using the rig for many years, and still could today. However, he has elected just to keep it in his garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment