Thursday, June 17, 2021

For Week Ending Sunday, June 20, 2021


Thursday, June 17 (from Skip)...
Skip and I shared a common fever today: We just had to get on the water or perhaps lose our sanity. So the two of us dumped our boats in at West Neck this morning and went looking for some of those green fish. We exchanged notes at the end of the day as we helped each other get our rigs back on the trailer. Skip boated a total of five bass today. Said he also lost several and had one giant blow-up that really slapped his bait but failed to get it. Water everywhere today looked really nice for a change. And best of all, the fish seemed to be in a cooperative mood.
Thursday, June 17 (from Ken)...
Got an early start this morning...right about 5:45 or 6 o'clock, 'cause my goal was to fish a typical tournament day and see how it would turn out. Ended up with a pretty decent day for an ol' fart. Boated three nice crappie, as well as nine bass, including one dink, a 1-2, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10, 1-15, 2-1, and 2-5, giving me a best five total weight of 9 lbs. 8ozs. Caught the vast majority of my fish on a topwater. To my pleasant surprise, that bite lasted until about 11:30. When it finally died, I picked up a soft plastic and pretty much picked up right where the topwater bite left off. Had only made two or three casts with it, when I fired one across a point and immediately saw something pick my line up and head toward the middle of the creek. Turned out to be my best bass of the day, and he had enough muscle to take some drag as soon as I buried the hook...always a great feeling. It doesn't happen for me very often any more, but it sure warms my soul to have a day when things go exactly as I imagine the script the night before. I had a blast!!!...even if that heavier rod I used for most of the day has flat put me at parade rest this evening. It's a "good" tired, if you know what I mean.

Friday, June 18 (from Ron)...
Fiddler Crabs - $26, Variety Sweeper Jigs - $30, Two Garage Door Weather Stripping - $36, Two Rolls Gorilla Tape - $16, Son's 16-lb. 4-oz. Trophy Sheepshead - Priceless, My 12-lb. 10-oz. Trophy Sheepshead - Icing on the cake. The weather stripping and duct tape were used for making Pylon bumper, so as not to scratch up the kayaks. Unbelievable fight, and I couldn't be happier for Father's Day.
Saturday, June 19 (from Ron)...
Traveled up north early this morning to try and check off another item on my bucket list. I did it, too! Got my very first snakehead at 18.5 inches and then a PB at 30 inches. Also got a little chain pickerel and crappie to round things out. Snakehead may be my new "favorite," replacing the bowfin, but too far to drive to find 'em...at least 110 miles north of here.
Sunday, June 20 (from Ron)...
Wasn't planning of fishing today, but I did. Caught a 24- and 25-inch snakehead and a nice 8-lb. bowfin. I had a passenger for a while, and if I had had a rubber band, he would have been snakehead bait. The bowfin destroyed my spinnerbait. I tried to re-shape it, but it broke in the process. Oh well, hell of a fight! I picked up a lip spreader yesterday and am glad. Snakeheads do not like to open their mouths for the lip grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment