Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Aging Anglers: Learning To Adapt

From a 63-year-old: Last summer, my bad knees finally gave way, and I fell out of my boat. I since have purchased an auto-inflatable life vest and wear it all the time. I'm gonna be a lot more cautious than I have been, starting with not having as many rods under my feet. I thank God for taking care of me one more time. Getting old sucks!

From a 69-year-old, who said he feels like he's 109: I've always had a bad back, just didn't know it. The stupid stuff I did as a young guy didn't help...stuff like picking up Ford and Chevy V8 motors and moving them to and from the beds of pickups, as well as picking up the back ends of VW bugs, just to show off. I was a dumb country boy, built like an ox (at 15, I stood 6-foot 1-inch and weighed 185 pounds...all pure muscle). I didn't know any limits on how much I could lift. My calves were tree trunks, which made it hard to find pants that fit in the waist and legs, too. I usually had to buy pants with larger legs and have the waist taken up a few inches. At 16, I had a 33-inch waist and a 44-inch chest, with a well-defined six pack. Not many dared to mess with me in school...definitely had no worry about school bullies. Today, though, my body is repaying me...with interest. I haven't had any back surgery yet but know it's not too far in the future. With the arthritis in my hands, neck, back, and knees, my old body is about worn out. All that, plus a couple of stints in the heart, and I no longer jump into the boat from the dock. Instead, I step into it, while being careful and holding on when there's something to hold onto.

From a 64-year-old: I've had balance issues for several years now. All of us need to be aware of changes that occur as we get older and learn to compensate as best we can. I still stand the entire time I'm in my canoe, but I have to keep the back of my legs braced against the canoe thwart to stay steady. I always wear a PFD 100 percent of the time I'm on the water. I have to be careful and move slowly when bank fishing along uneven or sloped shorelines because I've already fallen several times while doing things that were no problem when I was younger. As for falling out of the boat, I'm always extra careful, 'cause I'm not sure I still possess the upper body strength necessary to get back in if I ever do fall out, especially with water-soaked clothes and perhaps being cold, too, from the immersion. We all should think through a reboarding plan...e.g., using the motor, installing a boarding ladder...whatever. The idea is to assess, adapt and overcome.

Accounts like these unfortunately are more the norm, rather than the exception, as aging anglers try to maintain what, in many instances, is the one and only hobby they really care about yet in their "golden years."

Let's face it: Time on the water is precious. Whether you prefer fishing or leisure, being in a boat on your favorite lake or river, under the open sky, with the rhythm of the waves rocking beneath you, is one of the best feelings in the world.

Too often, difficulties caused by aging make it harder to get on the water. And rather than enjoying a fishing trip or day boating with the family, the affected senior decides to stay home.

The key to not letting this happen is to find ways to continue doing what we love without compromising health, safety or comfort. With some out-of-the-box thinking, plus the help of others, as well as new products on the market, we can limit the number of days we have to stay home.

Far too often, senior boaters are limited by accessibility. Thankfully, facilities at most boating-access sites now are more convenient than in the past. However, there's still the issue of getting into and out of the boat, as well as movement around the boat. One of the more recent inventions to help take care of boarding issues is an array of trailer steps, similar to the arrangement found in the accompanying photo. Movement around a bass boat's interior can be enhanced with the addition of a step-up to the front platform. My good friend and boat mechanic recently built and installed one of these devices in my boat, and I'm here to tell you that, after just one trip to the water with it, I've never been happier.

Other ways to make your boat more accessible could include equipping it with extra seating and handrails. The latter is always a welcome alternative to anyone who uses a boat's windshield to pull himself/herself out of his seat.

Hydration and energy factors (e.g., food and drinks) also need to be considered anytime you're planning a day on the water. Too often, a boat trip is cut short because people are hungry or thirsty. Packing good food and plenty of liquids helps ensure everyone stays hydrated, energized and happy.

For a chilly day, it's hard to beat a thermos of hot coffee, tea or hot chocolate. You might take along a thermos of hot soup, too. A simple snack of good bread, cheese and meat can be fun to share, as well. Likewise, cut-up fruits and vegetables make an easy snack, as do tasty finger foods. And last but not least, make sure you take along several bottles of water. Pack a couple extra, just in case you think you might need it.

Among the safety considerations for any and all boat trips should be the following:

     * Make sure your boat is equipped with a first-aid kit. Routinely check the kit to make sure everything is in place and up to date.
     * Make sure you have a charged cellphone.
     * Bring along a multi-tool. You never know when you'll need pliers, a knife, or even a screwdriver when you're on the boat.
     * Make sure you have enough life vests, and make sure everyone knows where they are located.
     * Take along extra clothes (e.g., jackets and extra layers) in colder months. It nearly always is colder on the water than you expect. Extra things, like gloves and hats, also are a good idea.
     * Finally, it's imperative to make sure you take along any and all necessary medications.

Do all that you can now to take care of yourself, 'cause who knows? You might live to be 104 and still fishing, like the World War II veteran I was reading about online yesterday. Having served under Gen. George S. Patton, he has been fishing since he was 8 years old. Though a gust of wind has knocked him over a time or two while fishing, this ol' vet said he has no plans to hang up his fishin' pole anytime soon.

"When I'm pushin' up daisies is when I'll quit fishin'," he assured.

No comments:

Post a Comment