Friday, June 18, 2021

Are You Suffering From Too Much of a Good Thing?

Just be aware that burnout occurs in work, school, and, yes, even bass fishing. A case in point is the following commentary from a weekend angler, which I found online:

"I personally think that angler burnout isn't caused by the time we spend fishing, but, rather, by the stress that surrounds the activity. For me, it seems that fishing has become so much more complicated and stressful than it was a few years ago. I feel like I'm trying to make it into too much. I love looking at gear on the Web and in catalogs. I also love running up and down the aisles of Dick's Sporting Goods, checking out all the lures and tackle they have on the walls. But then I stress myself out about needing a half-dozen or so new rod-and-reel setups, as well as every type, size and color of lure.

"I've come to think there is a time when we have to pull ourselves back into reality and ask exactly what it is that we want out of fishing. Why are we doing it? The answer should be to catch fish and have fun.

"I'm no professional angler by any means. I don't fish tournaments for money. I just fish for the excitement that comes from feeling a strike on the end of your line and knowing that a fight soon will be on. I like catching fish...as many as I can...but I don't NEED to catch as many as I can.

"The problem is all that stress I heap upon myself about gear, techniques, and all the other technical stuff. It seems the less fun that fishing becomes, the more of a chore or job it becomes. The way I think we need to rid ourselves of this is just to stick to the basics.

"If you really love fishing and like going recreationally a couple times a week, all you need is one or two basic setups...maybe one for lighter line (8-to-10 lb.) for lures fished around sparse cover or open water, and another setup for heavier cover and/or larger lures (something in the 12-to-17-lb. range). With these, you'll be able to use lures from 1/8 to 1/2 oz., as well as those around 1/4 to 1 oz., for a standard medium and medium-heavy setup. Get a standard top-handle tacklebox or a couple plastic Plano containers and limit yourself to a couple dozen lures and half-dozen bags of your favorite soft plastics.

"To think you're going to keep every piece of equipment available to catch a bass is absurd. Leave the bait monkey for the guys fishing tourneys who have money riding on the line.

"Take a new train of thought toward fishing. It likely will make it more enjoyable and more challenging, too, just by sticking with the tackle you have on hand.

"If ever there was one thing on earth that shouldn't be stressful, it's fishing. And the way to do that is by employing the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) acronym."

Walker Smith, who writes for Wired2Fish, had this to say about bass-fishing burnout: "We all get in bad moods from time to time, especially when we have a tough day on the water. There's nothing wrong with that. But if you're having trouble shaking it off, consider asking yourself an incredibly important question: 'Am I having fun?'

"If you answer 'yes,' you're good. If the answer is 'no,' though, take a break. I'm not saying you should sell your rods and not fish for a year. But take a break for a week or two. The time away from fishing will remind you what that craving and primal urge feels like. The next time you hit the water, you'll feel like a brand new person.

"I certainly don't have all the answers, but I think a lot of anglers deal with the 'summertime blues' when it's that time of year. After all, the fishing gets really tough, it's hot as the dickens, and the wakeboard boats are doing donuts all over your favorite spots. That kind of stuff makes it easy to get burned out sometimes. But hang in there, cause cooler temperatures will come back."

No comments:

Post a Comment