Tuesday, April 14, 2020

There Are 3 Things Certain in Life: Death, Taxes...And Fishing Slumps

Some refer to it as "going through the motions." The results, though, whatever you call it, are all the same. When you're in a "fishing slump," you're really just slinging lures. As Walker Smith of Wired2Fish put it, "I have royally stunk this year. I couldn't catch a bass out of a mud puddle right now."

It was March 27, 2020, when Smith made that statement. As he explained, "I normally am catching my biggest bass from December through March, but I can count the number of big bass I've caught this year on one hand--because the number is zero. I'm not sand-bagging or anything like that. I just cannot catch fish this year.

"Have I had opportunities? Yes, I definitely have. I had one over 6 pounds come totally out of the water on my frog last night after work. And guess who messed up? That would be me. I had another big bedding fish yesterday bite my lizard, and guess what happened when I set the hook? Yep, my line broke. My line never breaks.

"With all of that aside, I've been thinking about writing this article all month long. I've been trying to figure out what exactly to say that will help anyone in a slump claw their way back to the top. After lots of thinking and note-taking, here is my list.

Limit social media. "This might sound silly, but the quickest way to get spun out when you're not catching 'em is to constantly scroll through your social-media feeds. When you're not catching a dang thing, it really can mess with your head to constantly see photos of big bass every time you get on your phone.

"Remember that social media is simply a highlight reel of people's lives. Most of your buddies aren't posting photos of the days when they got their teeth kicked in on the lake. They're not posting pictures when they're in a slump--only when they're catching big fish, and then they'll pose a thousand different ways with it and post those photos for weeks.

"As a result, you start thinking everybody is catching them, and you subsequently start putting a lot of pressure on yourself. You'll doubt what you're doing, and before you know it, you'll find yourself in 40 feet of water, drop-shotting a tiny worm in the middle of the spawn.

"I'm not saying don't get on social media. It's a huge part of our lives now. But maybe limit your time, or at least realize that, again, it's just a highlight reel. Don't let external factors put pressure on you to perform on the water. It's always going to be just you against the fish.

Don't start chasing your tail. "This is something I really have been struggling with this year. I've always prided myself on my hookup ratio. In the past, I rarely have lost fish. But man, I have a legitimate bruise on my left rib cage from setting the hook and missing so much--like a real black-and-blue bruise. I don't care what I've been throwing or where I've been fishing; if a fish bites my cricket, I'm more than likely going to whiff on the hookset.

"I've been through these slumps before, and I have to keep reminding myself not to chase my tail. It's so tempting to try and start haphazardly changing things in order to reverse your string of bad luck. Your mind starts freaking out, and you start wondering if you should change line diameters, line types, weights, rod actions, hook styles, hook diameters, bait colors...and the list goes on. If you start trying to dissect every little part, you'll find yourself in an overwhelming hole of confusion and frustration.

"Instead of chasing your tail, double-down on what you're best at...in my case, frog fishing. That's the only way you're going to get your confidence back.

Clean your boat. "De-cluttering your boat tends to help de-clutter your mind and decision-making. While you're at it, wash it and wipe it down. This helps put you in the right psychological frame of mind. Get that boat vacuumed out, polished up, and smelling good. Get rid of all those torn soft plastics, water bottles, and random pieces of line. Get it looking sharp, and your mind will clear up, and you'll feel like a new person.

Stick with your strengths. "Don't go looking for the "golden bullet." You can buy all the crazy lures and gear you want, but you'll never replace time on the water...period. Stick with what you know and what your strengths are. And whatever you do, never go experimenting with new techniques when you're struggling, because your confidence already is down. The only acceptable time to experiment is when the fish are biting, and you're really on 'em.

"If you're lucky enough to have dodged a fishing slump thus far, stick around long enough, and it's going to happen to you. Nobody is immune to it...not even professional anglers. Accept a slump for what it really is: a temporary string of bad luck. Don't take it personally, and don't get down on yourself. Remember this: Good luck happens when preparation meets opportunity."


Text modified from original article by Walker Smith, who also took all the accompanying photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment