Tuesday, April 7, 2020

For Week Ending Sunday, April 12, 2020



Monday, April 6 (from Don Mc)...The governor said we can fish, so I slipped out to NW River yesterday before the storm hit. The north wind slapped me around a little bit, but managed seven fish on topwater...one a noteworthy 6.6-lb. bruiser. Yes, I caught it on a frog...exactly which one and which color, though, must remain my secret.
Tuesday, April 7 (from Ron)...I think the bass are in self-quarantine. Fished Milldam Monday evening for 2.5 hours and tried all my favorite spots. Trolled a beetlespin and the XTS, all the while trying micro-spinners and various plastics pitched to submerged trees and base of cypress, as well as shoreline. However, did not get a single tap, nibble or strike. After doing the limbo under the bridge, managed to find one crappie on the trolled beetlespin to avoid the skunk, but it sure felt like a skunk. This evening, went grocery shopping in Rudee Inlet and caught a nice speckled trout for tacos. Sunset topwater bite was great, but the storm rolled in and cut my fishing short. Hightailed it outta there as the lightning started. Seem to keep catching the same under-slot puppy drum.

Tuesday, April 7 (from Ken)...Yes, I finally got back out on the water at long last. Unfortunately, my suspicions quickly all came true--the "ring rust" already had set in. The day was full of errant casts, backlashes, and, in general, everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Even the idle on my outboard had slipped back over the winter, and the motor stalled nearly everytime I came off step. It simply would not run at idle...period. Have already sent a text to my mechanic but haven't heard anything yet. Only managed to catch three bass in 5.5 hours of fishing, the biggest the 1-11 pictured here. Two fish, including this one, came on a spinnerbait. I also boated one on a topwater and missed two more on the same bait. One of those "misses" was a good fish, 'cause I felt him for a couple of seconds before he shook free. Stayed in Albright's all day, even though I found only one short stretch (less than 50 yards) of decent looking water. And given the fact we're looking at still more rain this week, I have to believe it's going to be a spell before the fishing improves appreciably. Had hoped this would be a "red letter" day for topwaters, but not so. Maybe next time will be better.

Friday, April 10 (from Ron)...Wind has been blowing too hard these past few days. Finally got out. Waited 'til 6 p.m, but the wind still was a bear. Fished upper North Landing and found a variety. Two dink bass and a crappie on the Pop-R and a 1-13 bass and a warmouth on the SwimSenko. Had a huge gar on the SwimSenko, but he threw the hook as I tried to get a picture.

Saturday, April 11 (from Ron)...Took the maiden voyage in my all-new 2020 Outback. Fished Albright's where I never do well, but wanted to test the new ride in the open water and wind. Managed to find a 1-2 and a 2-0 bass on the SwimSenko, but that was all. Jet skiers and crowds at Ol' Pungo launch reminded me why I don't like that area when the weather is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment