Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Martens Home From 2nd Brain Surgery

Aaron Martens' second surgery on April 22--to remove a quarter-sized tumor at the base of his skull, against the brain stem--was deemed "a total success," and he was released the following day, two days earlier than anticipated. According to the patient, the incision made in his skull during the first procedure on April 6 had almost fully healed by the time the second surgery was performed 16 days later.

And despite bouts of intense post-operative pain caused by swelling, follow-up MRIs and testing show that Martens is healing well, following the second procedure.

"My doctor says that he's never seen anybody heal like that," said Martens. "I think people know the amount of physical activity and the crazy amount of work that I do to stay fit and healthy."

Martens will continue treatment with radiation and chemotherapy to eliminate any remaining dangerous cells associated with he two tumors and to ward against similar tumors spreading to other parts of his brain. He's eating to gain weight, is walking daily with his wife, Lesley, and children, Jordan and Spencer. He's hopeful to be cleared soon for even more vigorous activity to help maintain his strength for the times ahead.

"A major part of the radiation is the healing--that's the part which is so hard on your body," said Martens. "But the fact I do heal so fast is a plus for my radiation and chemo. The healing process from radiation is what causes people to want to give up because it just makes you feel awful, but Lesley and I are working on my diet and health, so I'm as ready for it as I can be.

"A lot of people who are fighting the same things have reached out, and they've been sharing with us all the little things they've learned about it...certain things to avoid and little things you can do to help. It's been extremely humbling...the amount of love and thoughts and prayers that people have shared with my family. When I was going under the second time, knowing that so many people cared about me was just amazing. It brought me to tears," explained Martens.

"Lesley, the kids, and I are ready to get through this...I know we will...I have too much good going on in my life not to," Martens concluded.


Just learned last evening that bass pro Shaw Grigsby was scheduled to undergo surgery this morning at 7:30. According to a short article in Bassfan, doctors recently found cancer in his kindeys. With early discovery, he is expected to be back fishing in about four weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment