Wednesday, June 10, 2015

'Twas a Bit on the Warm Side Today


I knew today would be my one and only chance to spend some time on the water in pursuit of bass before this weekend's tournament, so I just made sure I had plenty of water before leaving the house this morning. With Saturday promising to bring even more heat than today, you can be certain I'll be prepared then, too.

Here is one of two fish I picked up in the back of Albright's this afternoon on a Rapala Scatter Rap. It tipped the scales at 1-6. The other Scatter Rap fish weighed a pound even.

I also picked up two fish in West Neck this morning on a Bang-O-Lure. The topwater action, however, in no way resembled what we had this past Saturday along the same stretch of water. Both Bang-O-Lure bass were less than a pound.

Given the fact I had a little success last season with a Scatter Rap, coupled with today's limited success, I very well may have to give this bait a little more attention. If you've ever fished this lure, you're aware that it has some of the craziest action of any lure on the market today. My experience has been that, when fishing this lure with a high-speed reel, you have to watch your retrieve speed closely, or the bait sometimes gets to rolling over and over.

I experimented with some different retrieves today and likely will try a few more the next time I tie on a Scatter Rap.


I ran across this ol' friend (Tom Acree) this morning as I was heading to my first spot. I quickly realized he was fishing the same area where he boated a citation bass back in August of 2012.

As it turned out, he quit just ahead of me today and waited around until I got in so we could talk about old times, as well as what kind of luck we had today.

Tom said he caught a bunch of dinks today. He also noted that he experienced a lot of the same problem I and others have been having here lately with bass just grabbing the tails of our soft plastics. On several occasions, he said he let the fish swim until his rod was bowing from their pressure and yet wasn't able to hook the fish. As I've said before, it sure would be nice if someone could figure out a way to put an end to this problem.

Tom indicated he may return to our tournaments this Saturday. Said he'll probably try to get his former partner, Joe McDevitt, to join him.

No comments:

Post a Comment